FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

controlling boost spike

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing's pretty nice, but there are cheaper one out there. $650 is pretty damn steep, but then again you can literally pick your boost and pretty mucn when it'll happen.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Launching!

I looked into a different WG. I thought the 38mm was a little small for my hp. Rick at STS says the rear mounted turbos can send quite a bit more through a 38mm due to the temps than a front mount system and that I'm inline.

I have the STS boost controller. I don't know the quality on that but it's a basic setup to get the job done. The nicer Blitz, Greddy, and HKS models have cpu's onboard to learn the system.

What about venting the WG externally? Is that something to assist with boost spike?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by hemifever
I looked into a different WG. I thought the 38mm was a little small for my hp. Rick at STS says the rear mounted turbos can send quite a bit more through a 38mm due to the temps than a front mount system and that I'm inline.

I have the STS boost controller. I don't know the quality on that but it's a basic setup to get the job done. The nicer Blitz, Greddy, and HKS models have cpu's onboard to learn the system.

What about venting the WG externally? Is that something to assist with boost spike?
I was wondering about controlling boost spike by venting to the atmosphere as well. It should allow for more flow by not having to deal with exhaust back pressure in the tail pipe. Maybe the exhaust actually has a scavaging effect on the wastegate and it is quieter running back into the exhaust. The new STS systems vent to the atmosphere. Maybe Turboberserker will tell us if it worked on his system that way. He rotated his wastegate 90* and welded over the hole in the tail pipe. It will also keep exhaust condensation from running into the wastegate from the down pipe to the wastegate exit.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I called STS when I got my kit, because I saw the new WG location and freaked because there was no literature or word of the revised design. I asked them their reasoning, and they said it was to prevent boost creep and boost spikes. I have no experience with the first design, but I still had a small boost spike. But once I referenced the WG to the manifold, all was good. No more boost spikes.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Thanks vanillagorilla. I think I may try rotating my waste gate and venting to the atmosphere. Maybe move my boost reference to the manifold as well.

I cured my boost creep and spikes ( 7 to 9 psi with a spike to 10 on the stock kit) by removing the red .4 bar wastegate spring and installing a yellow .3 bar wastegate spring but it limits my base boost setting to 5 psi and I would like to put the red spring back in and see how it does.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

I got a 2" wide piece of 3/16" steel today. I cut it down and drilled two holes in it. That'll be my WG perch cover. If it would quit raining out, I'll flip my WG over and vent to atmosphere.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

I must be missing something or just stupid.

There are two ports on the wg. One at the back and one on the side.

The one on the side actually controls the amount the wg opens. It is regulated by the amount of vac/boost in the engine manifold, at least that is the way it is if you run the line to the maniford, otherwise it references off of the turbo's compressor.

The one on the back goes to atmosphere, unless you pipe it to a controller/regulator. The controller actually pushes regulated pressure against the back of the diaphram to make the boost go higher. When in the low boost setting, the controller vents the lines to atmosphere.

What are you going to vent to atmosphere??????? That will still let you get into the high boost mode?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Instead of the WG sending exhaust back into the exhaust pipe on the backside of the turbo, that exhaust is vented to the ground or where ever. Basically the exhaust backpressure is interfering with the normal operation of the WG spring. It could have multiple effects. You may have a 5# WG spring in there but with the exhaust pressure interfering with it you might actually crawl up to 8psi of boost. Or, it might only allow 3psi in 1st gear, 4psi in 2nd gear, and 5psi in 3rd gear.

I don't have a boost creep problem. I maintain my max boost. I do have shift spikes and the boost ramp up per gear I'm in. Granted, it's minor now, but I'm gonna try the external dump because it's an easy thing to do to try and get MAX boost in 1st gear.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the wastegate itself not the boost refrence line on it but the exhaust comeing out of it. if your running low boost you need a big wastegate to exhaust all the unneeded exhaust pressure if its too small then it can not exhaust the extra pressure fast enough and will cause the turbo to spool faster. and if your waste gate does not react fast enough wether it be because of the boost refrence or the wasyegate itself then you will get a spike.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Ok, I get it now. You are talking about the exhaust, not the vac/boost ref line. Gotcha.

Quick Reply: controlling boost spike