FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Catch Can Setup Issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blownescalade62
For my setup I just ordered RX Monster catchcan and 1LE breather. Its recommended for over 9psi.
Did it come with all AN fittings and houses? including fitting to go on valve cover, intake and pre-turbo?

What size AN?
Old 11-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Looks like you may have your hoses routed wrong. Air needs to flow through the motor into catch can. Per rx, air flows into rx restricted air fiter on passenger side valve cover oil filler of any pass valve cover port. Air flows out driver side valve cover port at rear and into NON check valve port on catch can.

Now choose any check valve port (both checks flow out of can) and connect hose to strong vac source, like vac hose to brake booster, etc. Port at the back of tb doesn't have strong vac if any. At this point you will have vac pulling air through motor and air/oil into catch can while at idle- cruise speed.

Now the #2 check valve port goes to turbo inlet. When in boost check valve #1 will shut and turbo inlet is now your vac source still flowing air through motor and air/oil through catch can.

Rx air filter is designed to flow a specific amount of air so as not to introduce massive amounts of unmetered air into motor. The other air filter you have on passenger valve cover won't work properly with rx design. Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jetn3
Looks like you may have your hoses routed wrong. Air needs to flow through the motor into catch can. Per rx, air flows into rx restricted air fiter on passenger side valve cover oil filler of any pass valve cover port. Air flows out driver side valve cover port at rear and into NON check valve port on catch can.

Now choose any check valve port (both checks flow out of can) and connect hose to strong vac source, like vac hose to brake booster, etc. Port at the back of tb doesn't have strong vac if any. At this point you will have vac pulling air through motor and air/oil into catch can while at idle- cruise speed.

Now the #2 check valve port goes to turbo inlet. When in boost check valve #1 will shut and turbo inlet is now your vac source still flowing air through motor and air/oil through catch can.

Rx air filter is designed to flow a specific amount of air so as not to introduce massive amounts of unmetered air into motor. The other air filter you have on passenger valve cover won't work properly with rx design. Hope this helps.
I did it per RX instruction and your description seems correct. I had the pass valve cover fill cap filter and the non check valve catch can port is connected to driver side valve cover. The two check valved catch can ports are connected to intake port and to pre-turbo. Why would it smoke after long idle? and catch can never collected any oil.

I had to remove the built-in check valve in the fill cap to avoide getting smoke. Then it started splashing oil! Why is it doing that. Still catch can did not collect any oil. I have no reason to explain this except if I had clogged check valves or catch can.

Now I put pass valve cover filter at the end of a hose and extended it to avoid splashing the intake and valve cover with oil at WOT.

Could it be my catch can is too small for 15psi of boost. RX talked me into buying the bigger Master Catch can but I did not want to drill and weld valve covers for the larger AN fittings and I thought the small can will work.

I am thinking to ditch the catch can and to get two of the old GM style valve cover breathers and drill and fix them on the valve covers them plug everthing else on the intake and pre-turbo ports.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Denali08
Did it come with all AN fittings and houses? including fitting to go on valve cover, intake and pre-turbo?

What size AN?
It comes with all an fittings but not hoses. I have not received it yet still in shipment.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Launching!

D08, in theory rx design works well in my opinion. However I think their breather is a big restriction. I Also think their cc and especially the monster catch can is overpriced for what it does. I can't really explain the smoking or no oil in catch can either.

I've seen other run breathers on valve covers with athletic wristbands to help minimize oil mist. Others have run hoses from their valve covers under the vehicle toward rear with breathers at end of hoses to oil mist/breath out back. I just wouldn't want to drive behind you.

Others use different styles of catch cans too. There are some on ls1tech that also were having problems with rx cc and now are having good success with member mighty mouses cc. Cheaper than rx too.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

The breather on the oil cap was too restrictive on mine. Kept blowing out the dipstick with any spirited driving.

I ended up putting an additional breather on the pass side front valve cover port
Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jetn3
D08, in theory rx design works well in my opinion. However I think their breather is a big restriction. I Also think their cc and especially the monster catch can is overpriced for what it does. I can't really explain the smoking or no oil in catch can either.

I've seen other run breathers on valve covers with athletic wristbands to help minimize oil mist. Others have run hoses from their valve covers under the vehicle toward rear with breathers at end of hoses to oil mist/breath out back. I just wouldn't want to drive behind you.

Others use different styles of catch cans too. There are some on ls1tech that also were having problems with rx cc and now are having good success with member mighty mouses cc. Cheaper than rx too.
Thanks for the clarification. It gives me comfort to know the issues about RX cc because I was wondering what was my issue with this RX cc.

I think I need another catch can or a better setup to handle 15+ psi of boost.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SYRacing
The breather on the oil cap was too restrictive on mine. Kept blowing out the dipstick with any spirited driving.

I ended up putting an additional breather on the pass side front valve cover port
Isn't that breather function is supposed to be to let air in at the pass valve cover but not out? It had a one way check valve built-in. But I agree that if it's too restrictive, it will not allow venting out of the driver side valve cover into the catch can.

This could explain why when I had the one way check valve in the fill cap, it would smoke. Also, it would explain wht at WOT, the oil splashes from the vent at the pass valve cover, with check valve removed. I guess the vent is not adequate and the catch can 3/8 is too restrictive which means pressure will build up in the crankcase then up in the valve covers and out splashing oil from the vent on pass valve cover...hmmmm.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the Monster catchcan with running 15PSI
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Denali08
Isn't that breather function is supposed to be to let air in at the pass valve cover but not out? It had a one way check valve built-in. But I agree that if it's too restrictive, it will not allow venting out of the driver side valve cover into the catch can.

This could explain why when I had the one way check valve in the fill cap, it would smoke. Also, it would explain wht at WOT, the oil splashes from the vent at the pass valve cover, with check valve removed. I guess the vent is not adequate and the catch can 3/8 is too restrictive which means pressure will build up in the crankcase then up in the valve covers and out splashing oil from the vent on pass valve cover...hmmmm.
Exactly, the check is installed and only allows air in. Adding the breather allows fresh air in thru the breather or the check (whichever is least restrictive) but also allows excess crankcase pressure to expel through the additional breather. No oil drench issues from this breather either.

Remember on the street you aren't in boost for any prolonged periods of time due to speed limits

Something had to be done, this was the only thing I could think of to sort it out.

I gapped my rings per Wiseco GFX instructions for FI so they are a little loose too.

10psi was too much for my RX can.

Quick Reply: Catch Can Setup Issues!!!