FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Boost gauge is now FROZEN SOLID.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always just move to Tucson. That'll fix the problem. 72*F with 20% RH in the plant right now.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
You could always just move to Tucson. That'll fix the problem. 72*F with 20% RH in the plant right now.
I wish man!! My wife actually used to live down there, for a couple years anyways. She could not handle the native wild life, large bugs and snakes are her enemies. I think I could deal with all that for the climate.
Its freakin cold here today, supposed to be zero the next couple of evenings.
When it gets up to the 30s in the winter you see people wearing shorts some times!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Launching!

You could always build a garage to keep the truck in, but then the true cost of the turbo would be getting out of control.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

my sissy *** wouldnt even look out the window if it was that cold outside. born and raised in texas. it hit 40 last weekend while i was hunting...i serously contemplated not getting in the stand i put on every piece of clothes i had and still froze my ***** off.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Scott Mills
You could always build a garage to keep the truck in, but then the true cost of the turbo would be getting out of control.
It is in the garage all night. The problem is unless your garage is insulated and heated it will still only be maybe 10 degrees warmer than outside. My garage faces the north west, that is the direction all the Canadian cold air sweeps in from. THANKS ALLOT CANADA!!!

Tex, when it gets to -10/20F that is when its really cold here. This crap is just normal, although its a little early this year.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 12-05-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Alright, you could use the oil line coming from the turbo to help heat up the WG and associated tubing. It won't melt anything because its not nearly as hot as the exhaust gas. The oil heats up rather quickily, especially right after the turbo. You could wrap some aluminum tubing around the WG housing to accomplish this. Where the WG references the atmosphere, you could install the air/water separator. If moisture is getting in the WG its probably from there. I don't know how much moisture there is in your air there, but here when it gets cold (below 40) the air really drys out. Big time! There are little 12V heating elements that you could wrap the WG in that you could turn on for a few minutes before you start up the truck. Don't get the heater tape though, I've had bad experiences with that **** and they short out like none other.

There are a lot of ways to go about this, I'm just throwing some ideas out there.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Alright, you could use the oil line coming from the turbo to help heat up the WG and associated tubing. It won't melt anything because its not nearly as hot as the exhaust gas. The oil heats up rather quickily, especially right after the turbo. You could wrap some aluminum tubing around the WG housing to accomplish this. Where the WG references the atmosphere, you could install the air/water separator. If moisture is getting in the WG its probably from there. I don't know how much moisture there is in your air there, but here when it gets cold (below 40) the air really drys out. Big time! There are little 12V heating elements that you could wrap the WG in that you could turn on for a few minutes before you start up the truck. Don't get the heater tape though, I've had bad experiences with that **** and they short out like none other.

There are a lot of ways to go about this, I'm just throwing some ideas out there.
Thats a great idea Vanilla!
If I can get the majority of that line running inside of something insulated with my two boost reference lines it just might keep it warm enough to burn off the moisture too. I've been thinking about this crap all day and most of my ideas were too complicated. Have to use the KISS principal like my old boss used to tell me when I was an apprentice. Looks like I have some fabbing to do now.
Thanks for the idea man!

Oh ya, I almost forgot, my wastegate does not reference atmosphere. It is tied to the boost controller.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 12-05-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha, these guys with these custom cars, always complaining about the winters.....

first to fix your problem, get a pressure sending unit (like fuel/oil) and put it right off of where ever you wana read your boost....wires dont freeze.

I took my truck out friday night when we were gettin that snow, had some fun but more trouble then good, spun my tires all the way up a 500 foot long hill, darn 2wd, I was moving at walking speed but the speedo said 30mph, now there's some nice grooves going around them. That and i had trouble gettin outa my parking spot cuz that was slanted too....so I parked it for the weekend.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duwem
ha, these guys with these custom cars, always complaining about the winters.....

first to fix your problem, get a pressure sending unit (like fuel/oil) and put it right off of where ever you wana read your boost....wires dont freeze.

I took my truck out friday night when we were gettin that snow, had some fun but more trouble then good, spun my tires all the way up a 500 foot long hill, darn 2wd, I was moving at walking speed but the speedo said 30mph, now there's some nice grooves going around them. That and i had trouble gettin outa my parking spot cuz that was slanted too....so I parked it for the weekend.
I drove to Watertown and back in the snow fall when it got bad. I had no issues driving at all 4wd. It was overboosting that day too but the tires spun so easy there was not as much load on the engine so it didn't spool up as bad. Either way you have to drive with the traffic and most of em were putting along like they were dead. I can't wait for 25-30 degrees so I'll feel like laying on the frozen concrete to fix it.
I have to get some type of heat exchanger to keep my lines warm and dry.
Maybe have a bundle of three or four lines two heated coolant from the engine, then the other two boost lines either coiled around them or running parallel and wraped to keep heat in?
I gotta go surfing to find something I can use.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Here an idea, tap into the TB coolant lines and run them to your turbo and back and then put all 4 lines in some foam pipe insulation. Could also rap them around the wastegate a couple of time to keep it warm.

Quick Reply: Boost gauge is now FROZEN SOLID.