FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Best exhaust setup with magnacharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 5.3 with dynatech long tubes, gutted cats and a single 2.5" corsa sport is retardedly loud. At cruise it is a nice rumble, but anything 1,500 rpms to 3500 rpms is just rediculous. Was thinking about putting cats back on, but not sure how much its going to quiet it down, or get rid of the raspi-ness i want to get rid of. and it pings a little too cuz of the hollow cats.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, A Corsa sport is extremely loud with longtubes and no cats. You need a touring Corsa if you have long tubes. As for the ideal setup I'd say you have a good start with the 1 7/8" headers. The best overall would be a dual 3" off the headers to a 4" y-pipe and back to a Corsa diesel cat back. They are very loud this way any time you are in the throttle, but sound good and flow great. Adding a 4" bullet to the system would take care of the raspiness. The other best way would be to run a 3" dual system with X-pipe using dual 3" Magnaflow's and 3" Dynomax bullet's with both pipe's coming out the passenger rear. That should be fairly quiet and flow excellent. If your exhaust from header back is good enough you don't need cutout's. I don't recomend them, no point in having them other than for fun. I'd also recomend taking a look at Dave's (USABodyguard) exhaust.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just what is described above. ARH 1 7/8 thru their cats, into a mgna muff tru-X dual 3 in/out into two 3" in/out borla xr-1's strait out the back pass side. Almost perfect, very minimal drone @ 75 ish. cruise is great and it comes alive at WOT.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zip, have you heard the corsa diesel setup like you described?

Bigcountry did LPPs to a corsa diesel setup, and he said it had the normal corsa sport catless lt rasp. I HATE that sound, but I love the sound once its wound up if that makes any sense. Im trying to figure out what way to go for my h/c LQ4 with a radix on top.

Im wondering where in the exhaust there will be enough room for a magnaflow 18" case resonator and if it will be enough to rid the catless exhaust of that rasp. I suppose if it wasnt quite enough I could put those resonators that motorhead posted up about, just talking about a ton of money for an exhaust. I already have the corsa diesel setup from my Dmax though...

Or just say screw it all and run the LPP setup with a 4" cutout and stock exhaust. I jsut dont want the corsa setup to be too loud when towing.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Yep, I've heard it. One of my friends has a VHO with a 408 in it and I talked him into switching to bigger exhaust. He was running Bellanger headers with a Corsa Touring. He switched to a American Racing 1 7/8" header with a y pipe that they made for him which is 3" from the headers to a 4" single. From there the rest of the exhaust is all Corsa Diesel, tip and all. The rasp is there for sure. The truck sounds very strong and isn't bad inside the truck. Outside the truck though it's very obnoxious and towing with it would get you the finger all the time. There isn't much room for a resonator, but somewhere it could be done. Maybe 3" resonators right off the headers before the y-pipe. Maybe a different tip with a resonator built in or use a nice polished stainless short one that goes right out in the stock location, but with no fancy tip. He is still running his with no resonator and loves it, but most would not like it for a daily driver. With a resonator on there it would be an excellent system.

Here is the Supersub video also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKKz5BL9Gc

I'll try to get a video of the VHO with the Corsa Diesel.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:23 AM
TECH Veteran

This is the setup I had on my blown Avalanche: 40" of muffler, straight-through, 3" single-in/single-out into a 3" single-in/2.5" dual-out.

Truck ran like an electric car...you couldn't tell it was running at idle or up to 2500 RPM or so. When you got into it, there was a faint rumbling that kind of sounded like the earth was opening up, but far away.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Sounds like if Im going to try this setup I should just go ahead and run those resonators off the collectors. I know by listening to Bigcountry's videos that it will be too loud. I used to tow a little with my 418 with the lt, no cat, corsa sport setup and it wasnt too bad due to lack of resonance but I felt bad for the people I passed going up hill. You could hear the exhaust off their vehicle, the echoe was loud I can imagine how loud it was directly pointed at the head as I went by

I really like the idea of the corsa sound again I just cant decide if I want to deal with it all the time.

Has anyone ran lts and no cats but with a stock exhaust? I was thinking about running that and just getting a 4" cutout put in right at the end of the ypipe so I could open up the exhaust whenever it was time to play and have stock quiet exhaust when I wanted to cruise, I just dont know if the stock exhaust will have resonance or not.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, the 20" magnaflow that I'm running now (4" as well) sounds way better outside the truck than the Corsa Diesel.... It does drone though and I am weighing my options on how to address it.

Summary

4" Corsa = No drone but raspy as hell and blisteringly loud to other vehicles as you pass under throttle.

4" Magnaflow = No Rasp at all, moderately loud at WOT, always a very deep rumble, but the cost is having to put up with some drone.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my truck back to exhaust shop to have Aero muffler removed. Found out that all the fiberglass packing inside the muffler was gone. Took two weeks to push it all out of a new muffler. Looked like a drier vent on my tailgate and bumper! I had that one removed and a Magnaflow dual inlet/outlet put on. Sounds better but still maybe a little too loud yet but better then the hollow Aero which was straight pipes.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

That sucks. ...Magnaflow FTW!