FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

beautiful twins

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Very nice.

Gotta call PTE myself sometime very soon here..

You need to get that truck up to the zippy event not just drag week hah.

Lookin sharp.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Jim. Going to be one heck of a truck as always!

All mine is going to look like *** because it is going to be MIGed. I'd rather spend $1500 more on go fast goodies than on another welder or paying someone else to do it at this point in time. I'll have a tig one day.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parish8
. i am not going to charge anything for my truck anymore so i still have lots of money(time) to go before i get this thing running but i got a good start.
What do you mean by this?? That is going to be awesome. Your TIG skills are pretty impressive. My MIG still looks like crap. I hear ya on the priorities thing. Im thankful I kept a healthy cushion last year as my 150K a year job just went to a 70K a year job and Im going to be switching employers... Then I tore my bicep 3 weeks ago and my wife wrecked the new Infiniti yesterday . So now my meager (in comparison) project is taking up half my garage for the next few months and the truck sits outside collecting dust. I wish I wouldve gone little by little and gotten stuff done instead of buying a ton of crap at once for a big overhaul. Now a bunch of stuff that I NEED to get done (house stuff) will wait so the parts can just take up space
Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about the tig.... i am cheating big time.

those welds are with no filler at all. to do it right you need to add some filler. i tried and it is much harder using filler, i dont have enough hands. if i can keep all of my joints nice and tight i think i will be ok with the tig and no filler but things have to fit together real tight.

i might try and make things look nice under my hood. that is something i never worried about much before.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=greentahoe]What do you mean by this?? [ QUOTE]

i mean no credit cards. i spent the last 6 months paying for the previous years fun. having to take a 6 month break sucked. this time i will wait to buy and pay as i go.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jim as far as the filler goes.. There is a bit of a trick you can try for a finishing pass. Go a little heavy on the filler with a fast pass with good penetration. Then go back and lay the rod right ontop of the weld.. obviously after it cools... Then pump the pedal like a pulse.. Wet out the beads to a nice appearance. It's kina hard to explain but I do it when I weld intercoolers just to clean up the welds. Fusion welds with no filler just don't have the strength but they do flow very easy and look nice.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revolutionary
Hey Jim as far as the filler goes.. There is a bit of a trick you can try for a finishing pass. Go a little heavy on the filler with a fast pass with good penetration. Then go back and lay the rod right ontop of the weld.. obviously after it cools... Then pump the pedal like a pulse.. Wet out the beads to a nice appearance. It's kina hard to explain but I do it when I weld intercoolers just to clean up the welds. Fusion welds with no filler just don't have the strength but they do flow very easy and look nice.
Maybe for aluminum..... I would say practice on some flat plates before you do joints like that, its so much easier. as far as filler goes, push your electrode and dab the filler in front of it, make sure to have a puddle on both surfaces your welding, once you get the filler to dab you have to play with it for a sec some times to get a bead out of it. Stainless is really easy to weld, so its a good starter, dont even think about aluminum for a long time, its super tough.
keep up the good work, theres a lota good info on miller/lincon's websites about welding methods.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=parish8]
Originally Posted by greentahoe
What do you mean by this?? [ QUOTE]

i mean no credit cards. i spent the last 6 months paying for the previous years fun. having to take a 6 month break sucked. this time i will wait to buy and pay as i go.
thats the way to do it. With rates the way they are you cant go and spend 25K on a CC and refi and end up paying $100 a month for it anymore . I thought about it, hesitated and missed the boat That truck is going to be so amazing, I cant wait to see it!!
Old 04-15-2006, 02:21 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Good deal man, glad to see you prioritizing. Taking your time and building something unique is fun, maxing out credit it not.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=duwem] Stainless is really easy to weld, so its a good starter, dont even think about aluminum for a long time, its super tough.
QUOTE]

i learned how to tig on aluminum wasnt that hard to me.

those welds look pretty good. looks alot better than the ones you posted when you first got your machine.

Quick Reply: beautiful twins