FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Bar and plate design or Delta fin design

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bar and plate design or Delta fin design

I read the delta fin design cools 20% better than the bar and plate.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody have any info?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the difference in the 2? Havent ever payed that much attn to them..
Are you talkin about a Radiator or a Trans cooler?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by phasemaster1
I read the delta fin design cools 20% better than the bar and plate.
What is a "delta fin"? I'm guessing it's a marketing term for some type of intercooler that has been around for awhile?

There's very little information available with any "real" data supporting actual effectiveness of different intercooler types. Most of the information you find is on the manufacturer's websites and I have a hard time believing that information is not biased.

In any case, any intercooling is better than none at all...

I'm familiar with four types of intercooler cores: Tube/fin (old Griffin, Garrett), bar/plate (Bell Intercoolers and most chinese/ebay cores), Laminova and the newest that I am familiar with is an "extruded tube" core (new Griffin).

Tube/fin is just that: a piece of thinwall tubing with fins stuffed inside the tubing. The tubes are stacked with fins in between them and then furnace brazed. The thin tubes make them good at transferring heat and with fins both inside and outside the tube it provides a large surface area for heat transfer. Downsides were that the cores aren't that easy to work with and it's more difficult to make them in lots of different sizes.

Bar/plate has been the favorite for flexibility. The high mass of the thicker bar/plate mean they transfer heat more slowly and can get heat soaked. They can be cheaply built in just about any size or thickness which has been their biggest attraction. Since the bar and plate material is rather thick, they have pretty high pressure capabilities.

Laminova intercoolers are used in air/water installations. They're really cheap and easy to use (in mass production), but airflow around them is horrible.

Extruded Tube is the newest style that I am aware of. Instead of a bar/plate or a stuffed tube an extruded tube is used. The extrusion has "fins" on the inside. The extruded tubes are stacked with fins between them and they're furnace brazed. These take the best features of tube/fin and bar/plate and combine them. The tubes are slightly thicker than tube/fin but not as thick as the bar/plate. They are also much more flexible for manufacturability and can take the higher pressures like the bar/plate coolers.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

delta fin=tube and fin which is the same type of intercooler that is on DSM's.Good intercooling efficiency but poor mechanical strength is the down fall.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tt460
What is a "delta fin"? I'm guessing it's a marketing term for some type of intercooler that has been around for awhile?

There's very little information available with any "real" data supporting actual effectiveness of different intercooler types. Most of the information you find is on the manufacturer's websites and I have a hard time believing that information is not biased.

In any case, any intercooling is better than none at all...

I'm familiar with four types of intercooler cores: Tube/fin (old Griffin, Garrett), bar/plate (Bell Intercoolers and most chinese/ebay cores), Laminova and the newest that I am familiar with is an "extruded tube" core (new Griffin).

Tube/fin is just that: a piece of thinwall tubing with fins stuffed inside the tubing. The tubes are stacked with fins in between them and then furnace brazed. The thin tubes make them good at transferring heat and with fins both inside and outside the tube it provides a large surface area for heat transfer. Downsides were that the cores aren't that easy to work with and it's more difficult to make them in lots of different sizes.

Bar/plate has been the favorite for flexibility. The high mass of the thicker bar/plate mean they transfer heat more slowly and can get heat soaked. They can be cheaply built in just about any size or thickness which has been their biggest attraction. Since the bar and plate material is rather thick, they have pretty high pressure capabilities.

Laminova intercoolers are used in air/water installations. They're really cheap and easy to use (in mass production), but airflow around them is horrible.

Extruded Tube is the newest style that I am aware of. Instead of a bar/plate or a stuffed tube an extruded tube is used. The extrusion has "fins" on the inside. The extruded tubes are stacked with fins between them and they're furnace brazed. These take the best features of tube/fin and bar/plate and combine them. The tubes are slightly thicker than tube/fin but not as thick as the bar/plate. They are also much more flexible for manufacturability and can take the higher pressures like the bar/plate coolers.
Ok covered all of them thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
delta fin=tube and fin which is the same type of intercooler that is on DSM's.Good intercooling efficiency but poor mechanical strength is the down fall.
Dont need poor mechanical strenghth that thing has to deflect stone and animals