FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Bad Gas Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
they should be off while wot. it goes open loop. so unless your open loop stft are on it will NOT set fuel trims at wot.
Thanks,
I must confess here, I am not savvy to tune talk. Please bare with me and my layman questions. You are answering a bit over my head. I am very grateful and hope you can get what I need to know into my thick skull.

You may be able to read between my lines and see I am trying to figure out if I am being jerked around or not.

I goto get my trans tweaked and end up with a detonating motor running richer than when I went in and told it's a relearn thing.

Please be frank with me guys. Is this total BS or not?

All I know is the pinging is lessening and My AFR's will not return to the low 11's @ WOT. I am totally lost as to why.

For all I know it could be the hotter weather?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

It sounds to me like he lost your tune and put a stock one in, and then tried to make it rich enough to get rid of the knock. There is nothing in a tune that will make it richer when it detonates. The computer only backs off timing when it sees knock. I have payed with lowering the converter lockup rpm and got detonation, but not severe. I often get detonation within a couple of miles of being sold a tank of not 93 octane that was labled 93 octane.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeah, is the pinging at WOT or part throttle?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

the fuel has nothing to do with it. You need to get the tuning software yourself and quit getting jerked around. People spend thousands of dollars on mods yet have no clue what's going on with their truck. Tuning software should be one of the first things people buy.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you still have the maf? it defiantly shouldn't run richer if it was just a trans tune. i agree sounds like he lost your tune and didn't wanna fess up. but if he was smart he would do like i do and just download it off the pcm again. using the beta hptuners i've had to do this a few times. the pcm will usually (unless modified) learn knock and not add the timing anymore. if it sees its pulling the same timing all the time it will "knock learn" and try to stop adding it. but its not the way you want to go. also the computer will pull timing when the intake air temp gets too hot so that you won't get KR caused by intake air temp rise. well it should anyway.

again all this is subject to the tune you have in your computer.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Oh yeah, is the pinging at WOT or part throttle?
The pinging is when at cruise around 60mph or so and I gently roll on the throttle as not to get a down shift. Worse at higher speeds when doing the same.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
the fuel has nothing to do with it. You need to get the tuning software yourself and quit getting jerked around. People spend thousands of dollars on mods yet have no clue what's going on with their truck. Tuning software should be one of the first things people buy.
I hear you. After I get this straightened out I plan on it.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that may be too much timing with the locked torque converter. in a truck you can't have alot of timing in the high load lower rpm area it will knock. i've seen it and done it. lol
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

If the converter is locked at that point and didn't used to be, the engine might have always been prone to detonate at those rpm but wasn't knocking because the motor would rev a little higher before, or maybe downshift. Or if your tune is screwed up, anything is possible.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

4.8T is Quickdraw McGraw with the same answer.

Quick Reply: Bad Gas Symptoms?