FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Average iat on a Whipple side mount? Cruise/freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average iat on a Whipple side mount? Cruise/freeway?

Hey guys, so I acquired the older whipple side mount 2300axo supercharger from a friend recently for free. At this point I am contemplating if its something that will fit my needs or if I should just pass on installing it. It's the single belt version without any of the whippletronix bs that people have issues with. I would like to install it on my 01 Tahoe to aid in towing and to have a little more fun with it. But my main concern is IAT temps with city driving and freeway driving, I know wot temps would be high but I could manage that with water/meth injection pre-blower. A lot of the info I found on iat temps for this supercharger were after a wot pull. But I'm more curious to see what you guys see temp wise city driving, freeway, towing and ambient temp (I tow in 100* sometimes).

If iat's seem manageable and I do install it. I plan on going with either 42lb or 60lb injectors, hptuners, water injection kit (pre-blower) and perhaps a inline fuel pump if needed. Let me know if you guys have any advice on the setup as well.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2017, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cant give u any specifics but its a fine blower as long as u dont push it too far. 6-7psi should be pretty safe and a lot of fun.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black04
Cant give u any specifics but its a fine blower as long as u dont push it too far. 6-7psi should be pretty safe and a lot of fun.
Mine looks to have a 4" pulley so from what I've found that's about 6 to 6.5psi. Which is perfectly fine for what I want to do and probably wouldn't need any more then that. I'm pretty much 50/50 on installing it, just looking for more iat info before I move forward with collecting supporting mods and installing it.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a side-mount on my truck for years, making about 7 psi with no issues at all, and I routinely was towing an enclosed trailer with it. The heat didn't get bad until the 3rd pulley upgrade. It was making about 13 psi then, and a lot of heat, but meth and a 10 gph nozzle cooled it off nicely.

Just tune it well and add a little meth and you will be fine with the 4 inch pulley.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bluecobra
I had a side-mount on my truck for years, making about 7 psi with no issues at all, and I routinely was towing an enclosed trailer with it. The heat didn't get bad until the 3rd pulley upgrade. It was making about 13 psi then, and a lot of heat, but meth and a 10 gph nozzle cooled it off nicely.

Just tune it well and add a little meth and you will be fine with the 4 inch pulley.
Good to hear the heat isn't too bad at lower boost levels. I assume prolonged hill climes while towing wasn't an issue either then on lower boost levels. Thanks for the information.