FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Anyone using Variable Geometry Turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another problem is heat. Gasoline engines produce hotter exhaust than Diesels do.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth the money IMO, most of the fast diesel guys are not running a variable geometry either. The stock lb7 dmax head unit has proven to be more reliable then the variables and for the minor benefit in a stock vehicle application I doubt it would be worth the time or effort for a high-efficiency aftermarket gasoline application.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

the new dmax's use an electronically actuated vanes... the only problem would be setting up a control unit that would have the proper calibrations to know exactly at what point, at what load, and what prerequisit's would need to change the vane position
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
the new dmax's use an electronically actuated vanes... the only problem would be setting up a control unit that would have the proper calibrations to know exactly at what point, at what load, and what prerequisit's would need to change the vane position
Wouldn't those calibrations be the same on a gas engine as they are on the diesels? I mean as of now those parameters are dependent on load and RPM I would assume right? So couldn't you use the same parameters adjusted for the difference in gasoline engines?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There was a guy over on tech that used one on his fbody off of some kind of a truck diesel, I tried to find the thread on it a while back but couldn't . It was physically a huge sob, but he ridged it with a waste gate type actuator, that kept it closed up in vac and 0 boost, but as boost come on, it would open up and be more free flowing. Worked pretty well as I recall. Wish I could find the thread
Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

No They Wouldnt... Because A Diesel Will Be Wanting To Push Insane Amounts Of Boost At A Much Different Rpm Than A Gas Engine... You Have To Remember Diesels Dont Spin Nearly The Rpms Our Gas Motors Do
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
GFYS and STFU

Yup yup, Diesels usually don't see 4K rpm's I was thinking recalibrate it and stuff, anywho, I was just curious. I'm gonna look at how porsche is controlling theirs on their 911 turbo. It's pretty cool that someone's crossing over this technology. I wonder why Ford chose to use two turbo's rather than a VGT??
Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Teching In

History lesson:

Shelby CSX: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_CSX

As far as I know, the first passcar to use a VNT turbo. The units were a Garrett piece (VNT-25 - a T25 compressor wheel), and the internals look fairly similar to the pieces used on the Ford and GM diesels now - 15 years later.

I'm using a slight hybrid - it's a T28 wheel mated to the VNT center section and hot side - common upgrade for the Dodge guys.

It's on my Hayabusa - controlling the vanes using the stock vacuum / boost two-way actuator, with a Tial 44 over top of it to keep boost down at 8 PSI. It's pretty simple, really, and runs good - 285HP at the rear wheel, full boost by 3800 RPM in a 6th gear roll (1.3l engine / 11k redline for those that aren't familiar with the engine).

I got the idea from Andy Johnston - I worked with him for a couple years, and he put the following bug in my ear from his days at Garrett:

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_vnt.html
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using Variable Geometry Turbos?-bu-turbo-build-059.jpg  
Old 11-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I wonder why Ford chose to use two turbo's rather than a VGT??
Spoolin - one of the turbos on the new Ford 6.4l is a VNT. They're Borg Warner parts.

Mostly for emissions - ability to drive large amounts of EGR inter-stage.

They also soured their business with Garrett - actuator sticking / warranty issues, and 'pricing disagreements'.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by Big Thumper
Spoolin - one of the turbos on the new Ford 6.4l is a VNT. They're Borg Warner parts.

Mostly for emissions - ability to drive large amounts of EGR inter-stage.

They also soured their business with Garrett - actuator sticking / warranty issues, and 'pricing disagreements'.
Cool thanks for all the info Big Thumper! Sounds like you know your nuts and bolts with VGT's. Question, how come Ford used two turbo's (in series right?) as well as a VGTurbo? Wouldn't one big VGT accomplish the same as two turbo's in series? I remember BMW had a car that had a small turbo for low RPM (quick spool and boost) and a big one (for top end) and it worked fairly well...so why mix and match technologies? And which one of the turbo's is VGT? The second one I would assume.
Thanks for clearing things up...and your bike is SICK which makes you a LUNATIC!!

Quick Reply: Anyone using Variable Geometry Turbos?