FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Anyone Running A Comp Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Running A Comp Turbo?

I've been doing research on decent inexpensive turbos since I'm looking to purchase a T70 soon. Today I came across Comp Turbo out of California. Supposedly built in the USA and backed by a one year warranty. They boast about their "revolutionary" oilless turbos...anyone heard of such a thing??? That sure would help with my rear-mount project!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

I have spoke to them quite a bit myself, I am getting ready to step my truck up to another level and they are gonna help me with it, They do offer the "Oil Less Turbo", it is about like a procharger, the bearings are in a housing that is full of oil all the time and you just change the oil regularly, they are still liquid cooled I believe though! So its either running a coolant system to the back or oil, you should consider a stand alone oil system like I use on mine!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

i have not used one of these myself, however i would think a coolant system would be way easier to run then an oil system, i HEAR they use synthetic mobile 1 oil
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

They use a grease, not a sealed oil system.

"The Comp Turbo Technology oil-less turbocharger, employs the well proven TRIPLEX CERAMIC ™ ball bearing system, wherein the ball bearings are lubricated by high temperature grease. In the oil-less bearing system, the elongated steel cylinder is provided with axially spaces “O” rings in its outside diameter that engage the bore in the bearing housing. Cooling water is supplied from the engine to a water jacket in the bearing housing and to the space between the “O” rings. This cools the “O” rings and the bearing carrier, carrying away the heat generated in the bearings. Since the bearing system is easily removed as an assembly from the bearing housing, the bearings can be re-greased at appropriate intervals to extend their service life indefinitely."

Turbochargers Comp Turbo - Oil-Less

Lots of money...
Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

id be uneasy trusting anything from Comp lately...
Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think these are made by comp cams are they?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 AM
MASS seller approved

All 2 stroke sled turbo kits are using standalone oil systems (no crankcase to share anyway). What does the one on your truck look like? I was wondering why this wasn't done on low and rear mount builds, having to scavenge back up into the motor sounds like a hassle. The oil pump on my sled is so tiny I could put it in my right hand and hold it out next to my left hand and you would have a hard time guessing which one it was in. Weighs 6 oz with 6 feet of wire!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Here is the system from under the truck

Here is what you can see from the top
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Thats a pretty cool setup you got there but what are your turbo oil temps? Seem like they would be kinda high just recirculating like that with out some kind of aux cooler. Not talking bad or anythig its just the first time i have seen a stand alone oil system for a turbo. Anyways I looked into the Comp turbos awhile back but the oil less option alone was $500 on top of there $1500 initial price for the turbo. If your looking for cheap Comp is the last place to look.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

imo master power and magnum are the best bang for the buck, although i think the mp line is limited at the moment due to design updates

Quick Reply: Anyone Running A Comp Turbo?