FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Anyone heard of cylinder charge temps causing piston failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What shop was this guy at? I'd like to avoid that shop. In fact I'll be up there this weekend, I can take it by his shop and show him a stock shitty hyper-u-cracked-it piston turbo engine in a hot climate that's been going for more than 500 hours. My IAT's have been up in the 160's too before my IC setup.

Take the belt off?!? WTF? Are you sure you didn't talk to the night janitor or something?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL Brian I sent you the shop's info

Shop is LS1 Custom Performance Engines in Chandler. Todd, it was the LS1 shop that was right next to AZ Dyno Chip where we had the dyno day earlier this year.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

HA! I know the place! Those dudes kept rolling around in that firebird with the hood off! I remember that place being pretty sloppy and messy inside. There are a lot of turbo LSX engines in AZ, how dare them think it can't be done.

I remember thinking to myself back in March when I read the sign, "Hmmm...LS1 Custom Performance Engines...why don't I hear anything about them on pt.net or ls1tech.com." Well, now we know why.

What about AZ Speed and Marine, or the guys on here with the 11sec STS truck. Xtreme Motorsports or something.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:19 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't called ASM, but I've talked to them in the past and they have been historically overpriced. I had my s/c installed there and the headers back before I knew what I was doing and wasn't real happy with their customer service. Shop was impeccable though, and I'm sure they do good work. They could be nicer though. Just a little too much attitude for me.

The 11sec STS truck is Xtreme Motorsports I think.....The guy is a member here on pt.net, I met up with him at Truckin Nats this year. I'm waiting for a call back from XMS, already called AZ Power and Sound too and they were way overpriced, to the tune of about double what I have gotten at some other places.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

There are capable shops down here with dynos and everthing, in fact ASM's crate engine were being dyno'd down here for awhile there. Performance Engine and Machine is a good shop, they did the engine in my Camaro, but they're more race oriented now. But then again that might be what you're looking for. Larry's Engine and Marines is fairly good too. I know they know LT1's well, but I'm not sure about Gen III's.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
...how else could he have turned out so retarded to begin with?
He studied....really hard!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:04 PM

Chris,
Let me know if I can be of any help... I can also get ahold of Scott (11.2 STS truck) if you want hook up with him and get some more opinions of what is available (and what isn't) as far as GENIII talent in the valley...

Bill
Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Originally Posted by thunder550
I haven't called ASM, but I've talked to them in the past and they have been historically overpriced. I had my s/c installed there and the headers back before I knew what I was doing and wasn't real happy with their customer service. Shop was impeccable though, and I'm sure they do good work. They could be nicer though. Just a little too much attitude for me.

The 11sec STS truck is Xtreme Motorsports I think.....The guy is a member here on pt.net, I met up with him at Truckin Nats this year. I'm waiting for a call back from XMS, already called AZ Power and Sound too and they were way overpriced, to the tune of about double what I have gotten at some other places.

sounds alot like MTI here in Houston.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can ALWAYS bring that truck out here to SoCal.....we can get it fixed RIGHT up.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunder550
I spoke with a guy at a local shop today to get some info on the 408, told him I wanted to build it for a turbo. He told me he recommended not doing that especially in AZ because the cylinder charge temps would be so high that it would limit the longevity of the motor to about 500 hours. He said a Magnacharger would be a better bet, and I could pull the belt off when I didn't need the extra power

I think this guy is full of it, #1 because the Magnacharger runs so hot to begin with, #2 I think it is nuts that he even suggested pulling the belt off the s/c at any time, #3 because I read lots and lots and not once heard anything about cylinder charge temps at moderate boost levels being anything to worry about, especially with a forged motor, and #4 because he told me that to get the same power from 7psi on the Maggie I would have to run 8 or 9 psi on the turbo because of the way it comes on progressively.

I think the guy is full of it, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I write him off completely.
oooooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk then, yeah.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of cylinder charge temps causing piston failure?