FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

all this talk about crank bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 304 Likes on 221 Posts
Default all this talk about crank bolts

All this talk about loose crank bolts got me thinking so I was under the hood this week-end and reached down with my hand and too my shock I was able to turn the crank bolt t with my hand. The pulley seems to be lined up correctly but I feel really bad because I have had the pin kit for like six months. not sure if it is spinning or not but i guess the bolt wouldn't be loose if it wasn't. any comments????
Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Crap, what is causing so may crank bolts to come loose?
________
BONG REVIEWS

Last edited by A Low Dime; 09-02-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
Holy Crap, what is causing so may crank bolts to come loose?
a bunch of idiots forgeting to tighten their damn crank bolts
Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
a bunch of idiots forgeting to tighten their damn crank bolts
HEY HEY NOW I put mine in that bitch tiiiigggght Damnit..

Well do your self a favor, get that bitch pinned. Just from it being in there, I can tell that it did somthing, there isn't as much slop in the belt when i punch the gas as before it was pinned.. I don't have a clue when it came loose, but it wasn't doing the belt dance after the install, go figure..

John
Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Getting pinned this week. pretty shitty design if you ask me, at least the old small blocks had a keyway to keep this from happening.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um, Maybe this is the JD talking BUT, Is everyones coming loose with stock bolts AND if so are they anywhere near the same time frame of install or purchase?? what if there is a problem with the Bolt's like they are a little to soft and because they are TTY that would cause less pressure on the crank and an easier time backing off, I'm no metalurgist but if there was a problem with a batch of TTY bolts that would cause this widespread problem

2005 Vettes had a recall of bad crank bolts coming loose or not properly tightened from the factory

Like i said i may be talking out my *** but it's an idea
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe, mine is a 2005 also. i think it is just they were never planned for these power levels.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The crank pulley is just interference fit on the crank snout and was not meant for the power levels that we are running or the extra load being placed on it by a blower.

If you stop and think about it the engine is like a big torque wrench trying to loosen the bolt/pulley everytime you jump down on the gas.

Nuff said!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terravast4
Maybe, mine is a 2005 also. i think it is just they were never planned for these power levels.
I agree with XLR8NSS, it's not so much a power level, but a load placed on it by having to spin everything including that blower. At high rpm it's probably putting a 60hp draw to spin it with a 2.8" pulley on there. Having done them with and without the correct tools I won't do another without the correct tool.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its mainly from the extra load of the blower. Buddy had a LS1 in his avalanche, not pinned.......yup it spun on the crank with a tight bolt...

All of my cars are pinned or keyed....and all are on stock GM TTY bolts that I pretty much cranked the compressor to 130 psi and put the 600 ft lb gun on kill mode.

I haven't had a problem.

Pinning is a lil bit of a chore but its necessary on the LSx motors with blowers and its a good safety measure on high revving NA motors or even turbo motors for safety's sake. Heck my old turbo car would throw belts if I'd hit the rev limiter......stock tensioner couldn't keep up.......put on a beefed up unit meant for a maggie and problem solved. It never loosened the crank bolt though...

Last edited by Y2KLimited; 10-16-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: all this talk about crank bolts