FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

96-99 Vortec 5.7L Magnacharger kit...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnacharger Kit -96-99 L31 Vortec 5.7L...

I know, its a dinosaur. Just need to know some info about this product. I would like to know some basic blower specs. Does anyone have any dyno charts or power results HP/TQ? Lastly, I know it is non-intercooled. Will it make a decent power increase with a blower specific cam, Edelbrock ETEC alum. heads, but other wise stock L31 engine. Will it need Meth/water inj. to make any power? Please post up with any info... BlownChevy?

Last edited by VortecSierra; 02-02-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

I'd be curious to know too. Dad has a 99 CCSB 2500 with a L31. It could use some help at times.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Keith
I'd be curious to know too. Dad has a 99 CCSB 2500 with a L31. It could use some help at times.
This is the exact setup I would be working with. They tow decent, but the 4L80E and heavy truck just make them a slug. There just isn't many power options available. Whipple is the only other I know of, but I just don't like the looks of the setup. Procharger won't deliver power where I want it. (low and mid-range) Fueling is a problem with these trucks when trying to make power. I guess if the Magna can't make the power I need then a wet NX kit will have to do.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:29 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

This Magnacharger is what you want, it allows the use or real fuel injectors, its for the L31.
http://www.magnacharger.com/images/h...0Photo%201.jpg
peace
Hog
Old 02-02-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hog
This Magnacharger is what you want, it allows the use or real fuel injectors, its for the L31.
http://www.magnacharger.com/images/h...0Photo%201.jpg
peace
Hog
I know this would make some serious power, but would take a good bit of work to install it. You would have to use a stand alone ECU right?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that can be done on a stock ECU. the only test i haven't done yet is to see if the distributor fits. we're putting one on a customers camaro, but we were going to put on on his tahoe too.

by spring i hope to have one of these running on a stock L31 also. the main difference is that these aren't a kit and will require some fabrication and tuning work.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Wow Zippy, Im impressed. I would love to see more info on the swap if you get a chance. Just wondering how much modification would have to be done to the stock components. (fuel system, ECM, sensors, etc.) I know this is the best setup for big power.

So no one has any results or feedback on the older non-intercooled kit? I assume it uses the MP90 supercharger.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

one of my customers has one of the older units with the 90 on it. he's been pretty happy with it, but it's not quite enough for what he wants. i'm going to be working with him soon on putting one of these on. you'd have to modify the injection harness a bit and simply relocate the sensors. just making sure everything clears is all i'm concerned with at this point.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:29 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

As long as you use high impedance injectors the stock PCm will drive it. get a 2 bar MAP sensor from a 3.8 L GTP or similar acr, and that MAP will plug directly into the Vortec 350 truck MAP connector.

The Vortec 350 truck's injectors harness will need to be spliced into to drive the injectors, but no biggie.

The plumb the air intake, its perfect for the Vortec 5.0 and 5.7 V8's becuase the stock air intake and MAFS is on the passenger side, the Magnachargers intake is also on this side, this should be fairly easy.

Just connect the fuel lines to the rails, while using a vacuum referenced rising rate FPR and maybe an inline booster pump.
Then there is the PCM tuning, can be done with Tunercats OBD2, the only tuning software for the 1996-200 Vortec 5/0, 5.7 and 7.4L engines. MXScan will add its logging/scanning functions with Wideband O2 sensor support to the Tunercat flash/tuner software. They will interface dirctly together and will be a complete flash/tune/scan unit. Finally, full ability to tune the older Vortec engines with a system that works together.
Tunercats OND2 is $300US for the cables, software for teh flash/tuner, and the converter box. Then its $79.00US for a definition file. These are not locked and if you buy a definition file for say the 96-97 trucks, you can tune ALL the 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 and 454 engines in the trucks from 96 and 97, there is NO limit to how many you do, you could tune 500 96 and 97 trucks for $79.00US.
Here is list of the definition files, the 2006 files are out.

I have Tunercat OBD2 and have done much of this work for my Marine intake swap.
That would be really cool if the stock distributer will fit on this intake.

Sounds like fun Zippy, let us know how teh Gaggie works out on the F-body and teh Tahoe.

peace
Hog
Old 02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VortecSierra
I know, its a dinosaur. Just need to know some info about this product. I would like to know some basic blower specs. Does anyone have any dyno charts or power results HP/TQ? Lastly, I know it is non-intercooled. Will it make a decent power increase with a blower specific cam, Edelbrock ETEC alum. heads, but other wise stock L31 engine. Will it need Meth/water inj. to make any power? Please post up with any info... BlownChevy?
Ok, you want some dyno results, I got you some. Friend has a 1997 4x4 Tahoe with the L31 5.7L and a magna non intercooled supercharger running 7 psi. He has a Wester's tune(pig rich), muffler back 2.5" duals, stock intermediate pipe and headers(big restriction), MSD coil and wires, 1 degree colder plugs, and Edelbrock headers. Stock stall, stock 3.42 gears, stock engine internals. On a rainy day with 100% humidity, 65 degrees, unlocked torque converter, it made 292rwhp and 390 ft lbs uncorrected. He could easily make 320+rwhp if he would retune the computer and swap the intermediate pipe with 2.5 and high flow cats. Then electric fans would make even more. The engine has 140k on it and if he rebuilt it, he would make more. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 96-99 Vortec 5.7L Magnacharger kit...