FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

On 3 turbo kit, alternative/ interchange turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On 3 turbo kit, alternative/ interchange turbo?

Considering the on 3 kit for a 99 up trucks. Ive dine some sesrching and the on 3 turbos are kind hit and miss. Some get praise and others not so much. Anyone know or have experience with how hard it would be to swap the 0n3 charger with a s400 frame turbo?
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

look up KB or Trick kits. those are the top 2 that everyone runs. possibly more money up front, but ultimately less money in the end after you have to fix/repair/modify other kits.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:05 PM

Just checked KB site and theirs is 4k for a s475 kit. Over double what a on 3 is. Granted the craftsmanship may differ but is it worth paying double. Since i know the question ab my "goals" may come into play, for now i just want a simple basic turbo set up but within a yr or so i want to be able to grow and not start all over. Id be fine with redoing a charge pipe or exhaust which imo would prob be the inly big things to change depending on the manifold clearances.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:50 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the trick kit. The on3 kits are cheap for a reason although i ran a on3 t76 for a long time.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Skerrt
Since i know the question ab my "goals" may come into play, for now i just want a simple basic turbo set up but within a yr or so i want to be able to grow and not start all over. Id be fine with redoing a charge pipe or exhaust which imo would prob be the inly big things to change depending on the manifold clearances.
To swap over later. You will need
Different down pipe.
Different cold pipe
Different air filter
Different oil psi fitting

Lots of differences there. And no clue if that gate will fit there with the larger exhaust stuff.

Then add in all your time to redo.

We can build a kit to fit any budget.
Depending on what you want to compare.

Our stage 3 kit is good for over 650hp. On a 5.3.
its 3995.00. There are a ton of parts in the kit that others leave out.
No worries about cracking manifold, leaking parts or noisy gate venting.

Our entry kit is somewhat comparable to kits some others offer.

What is your budget on this first kit?
The following 2 users liked this post by TrickTurbo:
Boost-freak (02-04-2018), LOWRIDERGMC (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
Do the trick kit. The on3 kits are cheap for a reason
Good advise. .
Old 02-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

oh, and customer service...it goes a looooong way. as you can see, Trick and KB are part of our community.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
oh, and customer service...it goes a looooong way. as you can see, Trick and kb are part of our community.
Good point.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Skerrt
Considering the on 3 kit for a 99 up trucks. Ive dine some sesrching and the on 3 turbos are kind hit and miss. Some get praise and others not so much. Anyone know or have experience with how hard it would be to swap the 0n3 charger with a s400 frame turbo?

i had the on3 kit for about 4000 miles and every single weld on it was cracked. Was total junk. It warped real bad. The original craftsmanship was pretty sub par. I had to grind out a lot of the exhaust pipe on the inside of it because there were just holes drilled in the pipe where the runners attached and it was causing horrible back pressure issues. After about 2 months of messing with it and taking it off to reweld everything I got tired of it and sold it. Granted the guy that bought it would now have a well built on3 kit because I took the time to make it better. But I ended up buying trick and it is awesome. After I put it on I went to go have my truck retuned and on the first pull before the tuner messed with anything the trick kit put 20ish more horsepower to the wheel (which I believe is because it didn’t have the back pressure issues the on3 kit had).

Id go with trick and save yourself the headaches of the on3 kit. Trust me. Now that I’ve had both I wouldn’t recommend anything other than trick. Their kit is solid and bad ***.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

My boy has an ON3 kit, it’s not even 6 months yet, and the flex pipe for the crossover has been replaced 3x times and his turbo is now no good, along with a few cracked welds here and there, and he is only on 7psi.

If you want room to “grow” and want piece of mind buy a trick kit. Ricks customer support is unmatched ( got KB as well ). Plus as stated trick turbo is a part of the community and can get most questions you have answered in a simple text or thread post. It’s not worth the money to buy 2x turbo kits ( 1x cheap kit now and then 1x quality kit later ) just buy a quality kit

Last edited by MrHorsepowerLSx; 02-04-2018 at 07:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LOWRIDERGMC (02-03-2018)

Quick Reply: On 3 turbo kit, alternative/ interchange turbo?