FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2016 Silverado 5.3 4wd Whipple results

Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry please don't take this wrong but why the lt4 injectors and pump? Also there are other options for the l83 heads. E85 is a waste unless you have the fuel to support it, I see you do but again (lt4?). wondering why you didn't go with a katech setup? $499 fully ported heads and 6.2/lt1 fuel injectors and pump, cam and pump cap.
Also what TB you have? should run a 6.2(87mm) or a ported katech 6.2.
what AFR are you at. that's a lot of truck for 570hp. Don't get me wrong that's great power.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m gonna assume this is a serious post and you’re not just yanking my chain. The answers to some of your questions are obvious or have already been discussed so I’ll keep it brief. If my assumption is incorrect and you are hanking my chain let me know and I’ll modify for a suitably smart allecky reply.
LT4 injectors and pump- why not? The injectors are like $800/set and will do all I need as opposed to $3500 Katechs that will do way too much. LT4 hpfp is proven option and a good value.
LT1 heads won’t fit. No standard available options currently for L83 heads if you don’t want to use a 2 piece exhaust valve. Modern Airflow Dynamcs did a super job reasonably priced. I believe if you went to many of these shops
like Katech or TSP they would balk at doing one off work such as LT1 exhaust valves as they make their money cranking out lots of good stuff on computerized machines and amorotize the development costs.
Custom spec cam costs an extra $25 bucks. Why not to get what you want?
LPFP limitation and added alcohol is discussed above.
I am running a Katech ported 6.2 TB but I’m not sure what it’s really doing for me.
I see WOT afar jumping from around 11.7-12. Part throttle is stoichiometric 14.1.
Not sure what a lot of truck for 570 hp means.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see Your point and I'm asking out of curiosity. I was told by many in the automotive industry that the lt4 pump and injector are not good. However I'm now wondering if they are speaking of those on 5.3l and they mentioned the injector spray pattern was too wide. I agree $3500 injector isn't what I was suggesting. With the larger cam/fuel on 5.3 600-690rwhp is doable. So lt4 fuel seems over kill. Katech offered your stock heads ported for $499. In the video above truck has much less and makes much more. Just wondering why try to make parts that don't fit go together and spend more to make less. Please understand I'm not trying to be rude or joke, I just want to understand No harm just my opinion, hell I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Also 12 afr you should make more power I was at low 11.3 and dyno shop showed 12 afr was better to pick up a little, but may not be the same for every compo. I will say 9.5lb is impressive as 520 is the best i have seen with whipples at that boost.
Again if I offended you that wasn't my intention.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Well, you know more about the injectors than I do. In the power range I’m looking at the lt4 combination is popular and proven. The scope of work done on my heads was quite a bit more than straight porting, $500 is probably doable at most places for porting bare heads, no valve job, no build. And no custom exhaust valve sizing. The guy in the video is making some power for sure. Different build than mine, his power is still climbing at 6900. I peak around 6400. Doesn’t show his boost or alcohol content.
I’m essentially insult proof and enjoy jacking with people. See, I got a response out of you!
I look forward to working on my 60 ft times then seeing how far I can push the alcohol.

Last edited by Littlefield; 10-31-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree your heads are more involved and I very much agree there is more in yours. The truck in the video is a local guy I know no E85 no meth just boost and yes more than you. Also the truck wasn't all it seems. he hated the truck and parted it out has a white 5.3l newer truck now. Mostly it was because of the tune and drivability.
On the injectors there is a lot of talk about that over on HPT again may be on 5.3l. Maybe a lot of talk. If it is working for you then that is all that matters.

I'm also insult proof, this is the internet after all. Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Well, mine is a 5.3 liter so I hope there are no problems. Enough issues getting the hpfp to fit.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I believe I am going to do the LT4 fueling and a lowside pump as well because I'm pretty sure I want to run E85. I don't really want to do a cam but I'm thinking headers and dual 3" and pulley to 12lbs. Thats if enough fuel without a cam. Still interested in Nitrous though but with a stand alone system later.

Last edited by ZO6Ted; 10-31-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 6.2 have same injectors as the LT1 and can support more power then any of use with the 5.3. I mean 700rwhp and the parts are the cheapest full retail on injectors is $400. then add the cam and shim or meth and there are some high hp guys out there. But still non E85 5.3L 600rwhp is doable. then there are still good cheap options like pump shim or cam/shim. 32% more fuel.
Meth is a pain in the *** but better performance and fuel capable wise opens up the power. e85 with stock computer is just easier and safer. But again need much more fuel.
I have a crate short block LT1 as I thought my 5.3l would let out. But I was shown the light and now thing I may not need it.
As for nitrous I would go wet kit and start low. It will amaze you on a Forced introduction.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

RE: shift points. In HP Tuners there are 2 table for WOT shifts. One is rpm, the other is mph. Intuitively you think they matched, right? Well, mine didn’t. Shift rpm’s were 5900 but calculating rpm’s from the mph table I was getting like 4500-5000. Great. The data logger was not recording rpm’s so I don’t know what it was actually doing. Come to think of, vehicle speed is on the list of data to be recorded. Need to see if that was working.
According to some forums the computer can use only the mph table or both the rpm and mph tables somehow to trigger a shift. Ask my reputable tuner about this and he provided me with a data logging configuration file with an Excel spreadsheet embedded in it. This is suppose to remassage your tune file to make things match. I tried it and must have messed it up as I find no difference in the tune table after repolling the computer. Why is it so complicated? I’ve just calculated mph that corresponds to 6200 rpm in the different gears and loaded that into the tune. Pretty easy and seems like it should work.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Well, apparently theres more to it than matching those2 tables. Went our early this mornibgvfor some test and tune and it was a total fail. No shift, hang shift, crazy shift. I was logging lots of transmussion data so hopefully Mr Guerra can make sense of it.
Guess what the only other car in sight was. Yup. Nice guy, though, let me go as I told him the truth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Silverado 5.3 4wd Whipple results