FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

15 PSI+ Boost guys and Stock Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADAZZSS
Dam Kris when did this happen?
It popped back in May. I have since swapped in a forged 370 and a FLT L5 80e. My 76mm also blew a seal so I'm stuck with the mp70 until I have it rebuilt. Its always something with these damn things.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sureshot
In your dyno experiences, is there more power to be had by upping the boost with slightly less timing, or slightly less boost with a little more timing?
I think each setup is different. With my setup 2 degrees of timing will normally increase by 10-15 rwhp. Boost seems to depend on what level I'm at and where I am in the compressor map. At low boost levels say around 6-8psi I only gain about 15-18 rwhp per psi. Higher boost levels are a little different, I typically gain 22-28 rwhp per psi over 10psi. By looking at the compressor map for my turbo it gets more effecient as the boost level goes up. I only have a 2 bar map sensor so I try to find a happy medium with both boost and timing to get to my goal number at 15psi or less.

I was surprised when I tried 22 degrees and only gained 2 rwhp. I'm sure a lot comes into play when the boost level starts getting that high so safer is always better. I can tell you that meth is definitely safer. It only took one 15psi pull to kill the motor without meth after 2 years of abuse with it.

I'm interested to get my truck back on the dyno with my new setup to see if the cam I have now will help any. I went from the ls6 cam to the Lingenfelter gt7 which is very similar but is supposed to be for turbos.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

When I was running 14-15 psi (procharger) I ran my best time with 24*. It picked up .2 and 2mph in the 1/4 going from 20* to 24*, however it pushed a little water at 24*. This was with half/half race and pump gas, single M15 meth cranked all the way up.

After it pushed water I didn't run the truck again that night. Let it cool down completely and it hasn't pushed water since, even at 23 psi. I was using Cometic gaskets and ARP bolts on stock heads.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
I think each setup is different. With my setup 2 degrees of timing will normally increase by 10-15 rwhp. Boost seems to depend on what level I'm at and where I am in the compressor map. At low boost levels say around 6-8psi I only gain about 15-18 rwhp per psi. Higher boost levels are a little different, I typically gain 22-28 rwhp per psi over 10psi. By looking at the compressor map for my turbo it gets more effecient as the boost level goes up. I only have a 2 bar map sensor so I try to find a happy medium with both boost and timing to get to my goal number at 15psi or less.

I was surprised when I tried 22 degrees and only gained 2 rwhp. I'm sure a lot comes into play when the boost level starts getting that high so safer is always better. I can tell you that meth is definitely safer. It only took one 15psi pull to kill the motor without meth after 2 years of abuse with it.

I'm interested to get my truck back on the dyno with my new setup to see if the cam I have now will help any. I went from the ls6 cam to the Lingenfelter gt7 which is very similar but is supposed to be for turbos.
Yeah, I want to see your new setup at the track!

Originally Posted by Blown06
When I was running 14-15 psi (procharger) I ran my best time with 24*. It picked up .2 and 2mph in the 1/4 going from 20* to 24*, however it pushed a little water at 24*. This was with half/half race and pump gas, single M15 meth cranked all the way up.

After it pushed water I didn't run the truck again that night. Let it cool down completely and it hasn't pushed water since, even at 23 psi. I was using Cometic gaskets and ARP bolts on stock heads.
Thanks for the info. I was just getting a little worried lately with people talking about heads lifting or pistons going. Right now I'm at 14#'s of boost and 20.5* of timing. This is on 93 octane and 50/50 meth, water.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sureshot
Right now I'm at 14#'s of boost and 20.5* of timing. This is on 93 octane and 50/50 meth, water.
Based on my experience with procharger stuff your right in the sweet spot with pump fuel. My killer street tuneup (pump fuel) was 14 psi, 20*, 100% meth with afr rich at 10.8-11.0. Truck ran consistant mid-low 11's for almost 2 years with this tune up and zero maintainence. By zero maintainence I mean that I never even pulled a spark plug or changed the blower belt for 2 years. It has only been in the last year that I started changing things up boost and tuning wise, at which time it picked up another second and 7 mph.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blown06
Based on my experience with procharger stuff your right in the sweet spot with pump fuel. My killer street tuneup (pump fuel) was 14 psi, 20*, 100% meth with afr rich at 10.8-11.0. Truck ran consistant mid-low 11's for almost 2 years with this tune up and zero maintainence. By zero maintainence I mean that I never even pulled a spark plug or changed the blower belt for 2 years. It has only been in the last year that I started changing things up boost and tuning wise, at which time it picked up another second and 7 mph.
Good to know! Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

i ran a stock block with head studs stock 317 heads and 24psi...not sure on the timing tho..some were about 13 or so i think...but dont hold me to it..bosted spike to 30psi and welllllllllllll.....you saw the vid im sure of the fire ball....lifted the head and cut a nice new hold in the deck...
Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05crew
you saw the vid im sure of the fire ball....lifted the head and cut a nice new hold in the deck...
Nope, post it up!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I have been 20+ on my stock block with a couple 26psi spikes as well, no issues with mine.

IMO, its not so much the boost, but the turbo kit setup that will either save your motor or not. All these log manifold, single side kits are a huge killer in keeping high boost pressures and the heads together. Its all about getting air in, and getting air out, EQUALLY. I was running an easy 17 degrees on 18psi with 91 and meth on my 5.3.

R
Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk179
I have been 20+ on my stock block with a couple 26psi spikes as well, no issues with mine.

IMO, its not so much the boost, but the turbo kit setup that will either save your motor or not. All these log manifold, single side kits are a huge killer in keeping high boost pressures and the heads together. Its all about getting air in, and getting air out, EQUALLY. I was running an easy 17 degrees on 18psi with 91 and meth on my 5.3.

R
How come you never took your truck to the track to back up the numbers on YOUR dyno? Also, didn't your 5.3 have 317 heads on it??? I've seen a stock bottom end 4.8 make 700rwhp and then turned up the boost on the street another 5 psi (was probable close to 800hp), but never took it back to the dyno on a log setup. Some of them "log" manifold build's are making in the 1k rwhp area

Quick Reply: 15 PSI+ Boost guys and Stock Blocks