Notices
Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

aftermarket leafs spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default aftermarket leafs spring

Hey, I want to compare if I am going to drop 4" lower in rear which simple change leafs. I wonder the 4" lower leafs and factory leafs are same weight rate when I tow? I plan to use air helper instead not do notch. Does aftermarket leafs decrease weight rate? Not good for tow If I use air helper? I know there have a shackle and hangers. It seem to much to do. Since mine is 06 and the frame need to cut something make mount hangers. I was afraid because not know what correct aligment like make a right level before drill and bolts with hangers. Thats why I do simple with leafs. But I have to check if it is ok for tow. Im going to drop 2/4 on my truck even with spindles, leafs, shackles.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran Hotchkis 4" drop leafs for a good while and wasn't terribly impressed. They are good for handing I guess, but ride quality suffered greatly and they were a pain in the *** on long trips.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I ran Hotchkis 4" drop leafs for a good while and wasn't terribly impressed. They are good for handing I guess, but ride quality suffered greatly and they were a pain in the *** on long trips.
I want to make sure you mean not good on long trip you mean bounce?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

ahh I put wrong thread. Can someone transfer my thread to GM suspesion?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spring will be alot stiffer, like Random said handling will improve but you will feel the bumps in the road more
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
The spring will be alot stiffer, like Random said handling will improve but you will feel the bumps in the road more
ahh. I guess just go with hanger n shackles. But I not see any picture to show how to put on with 2006 Silverado. Like I have model 2006
Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lownslo has a 07 classic with 3/5 drop?... Spindles, shackles, and hangars.
I didnt help put it on, but it didnt look too hard.

It looks good but rides not soo good. If he Cnotched the frame it would prob be alot better so it wont hit the bumpstops all the time.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From personal experience I would get a c-notch for the rear on anything 4" and lower unless you run air shocks. Other people may say different, but I bottomed out all the time with just a 4" drop.

As far as installing a drop. It is very simple. I installed my first drop when I was 16 and had almost no knowledge of anything automotive related.

Anything in the front is easy to replace. It's very straight forward. The only problem you may have is with your balljoints seizing inside your spindle. It is easily solved with any of several different methods.

The back is the most tedious.

Drop shackles are one of the easiest modification you can do. I can do a set with air tools in under 30 minutes. With hand tools it takes about an hour if you have a hitch and about 45 if you don't

Hangers are the worth part. Unfortunately, GM chose to rivet our hangers to the frame so you need to find a way to drill them out or punch them out with an air hammer. It is by far the longest part of the ordeal, although it is by no means complicated.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RandomHero
From personal experience I would get a c-notch for the rear on anything 4" and lower unless you run air shocks. Other people may say different, but I bottomed out all the time with just a 4" drop.

As far as installing a drop. It is very simple. I installed my first drop when I was 16 and had almost no knowledge of anything automotive related.

Anything in the front is easy to replace. It's very straight forward. The only problem you may have is with your balljoints seizing inside your spindle. It is easily solved with any of several different methods.

The back is the most tedious.

Drop shackles are one of the easiest modification you can do. I can do a set with air tools in under 30 minutes. With hand tools it takes about an hour if you have a hitch and about 45 if you don't

Hangers are the worth part. Unfortunately, GM chose to rivet our hangers to the frame so you need to find a way to drill them out or punch them out with an air hammer. It is by far the longest part of the ordeal, although it is by no means complicated.

I understand. I know how to install. But one problem is on hanger. because my 2006 is different than 2005 I think. The hanger is middle under the frame not on side of frame. I need pictures from whoever have 2006 to show replace the hanger. Spindles are easy for me to do. I do have hitch on mine. I was going to do notch. But I decide go with air helper because Im going do tow sometimes. It should be allright for frame allow more room with air helper without hit bumperstop.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please post pics of your hanger