Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Track times STS vs front mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I think the best comparison will be when I get back down to Phoenix though. Don't think I'll pickup over a second over the STS there
If you run faster than me when you get down here I'm gonna kill something and throw it at you!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
If you run faster than me when you get down here I'm gonna kill something and throw it at you!
We already know that's going to happen

Kyle's turbo 4.8>Chris's turbo 408
Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, 11psi at sea-level is not 11psi at 5000' at least in ACTUAL air pressure (kPa). To get the same kPa, I would have to run 2psi more to be at the same air pressure.
Shouldn't it be the same kPa though? It's all based off of what the wastegate is set at, the turbo will just have to spin harder, no? So if you see 13psi at 1200ft with cold air, you see 11psi with a 8200ft DA with the same WG/Boost controller settings?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Shouldn't it be the same kPa though? It's all based off of what the wastegate is set at, the turbo will just have to spin harder, no? So if you see 13psi at 1200ft with cold air, you see 11psi with a 8200ft DA with the same WG/Boost controller settings?
The gauge is showing psi over static air pressure at least in my experience with it. Since I start at 85 kPa here, my waste gate has a 7lbs spring and opens at 7psi on the gauge which is about 135 kpa on the scanner here. I go down to Phoenix and see the same 7psi on the gauge, but the scanners says 150 kpa. (and it feels a HELL of a lot stronger ) Up here, the gauge has to go to all most 10 psi to see 150 kPa on the scanner.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Altitude effects N/A engine's and Blown engine's more than they do turbo's but because the air is thinner, there is less oxygen per unit of air. So 11 psi at sea level and 11 psi at 8000 ft of Altitude has the same quantity/density of air being forced into the engine but there isn't the same quantity of Oxygen in that charge. Took me a while to understand that as well. I was always under the impression that turbo's were immune to Altitude changes because whatever a wastegate is set at is how much air your gonna feed your engine, which is true but air isn't what an engine needs, it's oxygene and there's less of it in each unit or air.
Hope that helps clear it up a bit.
At least this is my understanding of it.

Last edited by Spoolin; 07-29-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust leaks will kill an STS though -- you're bleeding exh pressure (which the kit is designed to have) temp and disrupting the pulse. at sea level and with exhaust leaks I couldn't spool past 4psi (but they were the crappiest welds I've ever seen for a supposedly gas tight setup... those welds are why I bought a welder and taught myself to weld lol)
Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Altitude effects N/A engine's and Blown engine's more than they do turbo's but because the air is thinner, there is less oxygen per unit of air. So 11 psi at sea level and 11 psi at 8000 ft of Altitude has the same quantity/density of air being forced into the engine but there isn't the same quantity of Oxygen in that charge. Took me a while to understand that as well. I was always under the impression that turbo's were immune to Altitude changes because whatever a wastegate is set at is how much air your gonna feed your engine, which is true but air isn't what an engine needs, it's oxygene and there's less of it in each unit or air.

This is my understanding too -- at higher altitude the density of the air is less than at sea level.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Banned

I think the altitude and small exhaust leaks is what played the most into it. In the thin air, it didn't spool quickly, but look at my best, that 12.79 was at 1200' with cool air. I could brake stall boost down there, and I couldn't up here. That's a lot of the difference. Wilde's times where in similar conditions with cool temps and sea-level. My truck runs WAY different from sea-level to 5000'. The biggest difference is in the NA pre-boost area, and the front mount really minimizes that time, thats where it really performs. I was quite surprised that it picked up what it did, but at the track, it's almost all in the short time.

You guys who live at or around sea-level really don't understand how much altitude affects power.

ok now that make more sense and yes i know what you mean about the altitude difference just had me a little worried cause i am about to put one on the excab
Old 07-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spoolin

make sense and now i have taken of all travel to the north off the calendar
Old 07-30-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traitor!!! J/k
get that thing back to the same track when cooler weather comes .
I want hard proof.
Congrates on a sweet build.

Quick Reply: Track times STS vs front mount