Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

First time out with my 5.3 forged setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgak47
Awesome build! Can't wait to see it to its fullest!

Gotta love a extreme N/A build, that is me to the T. Have respect for boost or nitrous builds but nothing impresses me more then a N/A build that performs.

Was hoping to make the shootout myself but my build has had way to many hold ups. Rethinking just going to see the nice N/A builds that will be there, one being yours.
couldnt agree more but i needed the extra power lol for such a small cubed motor next build will be solid but still on the bottle !

***** getting real EDGAR nicely done bro! glad guys like you dont mind sharing and giving tips and helping the community out
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
couldnt agree more but i needed the extra power lol for such a small cubed motor next build will be solid but still on the bottle !

***** getting real EDGAR nicely done bro! glad guys like you dont mind sharing and giving tips and helping the community out
Hell yeah Skeet. You're like me, don't mind helping others out. Can't wait to see your truck with the goodies that you added.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoadKill03
Thanks a lot. I love to build raw power and not depend on power adders but then again I really do love boost and my next build for this truck is going to be a twin 76mm turbos.
Your welcome man! All the rest of my local buddies are boostaholics.

Originally Posted by skeet
lol, yeah a 408 is tiny...

Uhh ohhh getting hooked on the bottle.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

this old man is crazy to bad our race did not happen at the winter blow out u going after one record I am going after an other record lol with the same CI lol.....Taking pi was the plan but she not going to make it this time around maybe Houston
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM

Pretty impressive. Curious on a few things myself.

Sounds like a pretty loose converter, what is it flashing too?

Stock bore on the 5.3 or was it opened up some?

What size valves are in the heads?
Turned down LS3?
Any idea what they weigh in at?

What rocker arm are you using?

What valve spring are you running?
Any idea on open and closed pressures?

Stock unported intake or was there some work done to it?

Sorry for the long list of questions, but I think a lot of people could learn a few things from your combo, myself included. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Pretty impressive. Curious on a few things myself.

Sounds like a pretty loose converter, what is it flashing too?

Stock bore on the 5.3 or was it opened up some?

What size valves are in the heads?
Turned down LS3?
Any idea what they weigh in at?

What rocker arm are you using?

What valve spring are you running?
Any idea on open and closed pressures?

Stock unported intake or was there some work done to it?

Sorry for the long list of questions, but I think a lot of people could learn a few things from your combo, myself included. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a pretty loose converter, what is it flashing too? stall is a Circle D 5300 launching with trans brake 5000 RPM's

Stock bore on the 5.3 or was it opened up some? Stock bore, it was just honed a little to get proper clearance for pistons.

What size valves are in the heads? 2.02 int. and 1.57 exh.
Turned down LS3?custom valves
Any idea what they weigh in at?82 grams

What rocker arm are you using?Yella-Terra 1.7's

What valve spring are you running?Custom HKE .700 lift valve springs
Any idea on open and closed pressures? I don't recall the specs on that

Stock unported intake or was there some work done to it?intake is untouched, the way it came from Holley is the way I left it.

Hope I answered your questions. Feel free to ask me anything else's you would like to know about my setup. Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM

Oh yeah.. What push rod diameter and wall thickness?

Some things people don't realize. You are running a light valve and my guess somewhere in the 170-180lbs of seat pressure and 450ish open (just a guess). You may not pull that same rpm with out float with a standard weight 2.02, less spring, and including a roller tip. Hence why I also asked about the push rod.

If all goes well, I will be seeing 7,500-7,600 out of my 418 this next go around. Has some unstable valve train components previous. Was falling over pretty bad at 6,700ish.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Oh yeah.. What push rod diameter and wall thickness?

Some things people don't realize. You are running a light valve and my guess somewhere in the 170-180lbs of seat pressure and 450ish open (just a guess). You may not pull that same rpm with out float with a standard weight 2.02, less spring, and including a roller tip. Hence why I also asked about the push rod.

If all goes well, I will be seeing 7,500-7,600 out of my 418 this next go around. Has some unstable valve train components previous. Was falling over pretty bad at 6,700ish.
Push rods are 3/8's. on the thickness I don't recall but you are right about the light valve train. I'm running also morel lifters to keep it from valve floating. I shift this little 5.3 to 8300 rpm's no problem.

Sounds like you got your self a mean *** setup going. Keep me posted on how it does when it's set and done.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Will do. Just food for thought.. Weight on the valve side of the rocker is much more crucial than the weight on the lifter side dye to rocker ratio. But it does ALL add up.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 762 Likes on 631 Posts

What kind of 4 link are you running???

What did you to for a rear end???

People have been asking about 4 links on trucks lately so if your willing to share your pictures I bet they would like to see what you did.

Quick Reply: First time out with my 5.3 forged setup