Help with '98 Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with '98 Grand Cherokee

I would like to start this thread off by sayig that I am not a pro on Jeeps at all, and certainly could use some help.

I just bought my father-in-laws Grand Cherokee Limited (5.9 liter) for a great deal. I realized that I would need to do some work on it when I got it, but never having a Jeep, and specifically a 4X4, I am not too sharp on the workings yet.

Here is what the deal is; There is a noise in the front, appears to be the drivers side. This noise sounds kind of like a warped rotor hitting the pads. When you apply the brakes, the sound is not dimished in the least- so I do not think that it is the breaks. Could this be something with the CV joint? Is there something with the front axle that would cause this?

Second one is that when you steer at los speeds (like the parking lot), the front tires will "skip"- kind of like if you turned a corner with a spool. If you go faster, you do not notice this.

Third thing is a higher pitched buzz as you are at crusing speed. This seems to be originating from the center of the vehicle. Could there be some noises that can come from the transfer case?

I really like this vehicle and would like to get it running very well. I have a 67 Firebird and 69 442 and would like to keep this jeep in the vein of a performance vehicle that is a great DD.

Are there any places that are recommended for Jeeps?

Sorry for the long post. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your jeep awd(all wheel drive).that would explain the skipping.the noise could be more than one thing loose/dragging in the front.the other noise is probably a bad bearing in the front diff as this is a common problem(just got do doing mine myself).
Old 05-20-2009, 12:46 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is a "quadra trac" then it will have cv style front axle shafts and the cv's could be worn out.If its a reg 4x4 (with 2wd) then itsounds like it may have a bad u-joint.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OLD POST !

if it's AWD, the skipping is from the front end not "unlocking" while you're turning.
The buzz can be from a u-joint going bad, and it will create a vibration
The warpped noise - Bad CV joint . . . the wabble, and bind at sharp turns, eventually breaking

It really sounds like there's a bad CV joint on the drivers side