Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

squarebody homemade floor help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squarebody homemade floor help

First being new to the forums I'd like to say that im 15,
I dont know everything
i dont have unlimited funds
and i like welding.

So on that note....im wanting to build a c20 (2wd 8 lug) race/off road truck.
but...i got a regular cab long box. With a 350 and turbo 400.
The cab has nearly no floor left. The motor hasn't ran in 20 years. The brakes are gone./master cylinder non exsistant, Dash is missing. It has no doors. But the frame is AMAZING
and with a 14 bolt rear end
i figure H3LL yeah lets build a race truck!

But before i find a motor to mount behind the old th400 i gotta get a floor and seats in it....so im looking for ideas,pictures, designs,
I'm damn good with a mig welder and plan on flipping the cab on its side to do it ...personally was thinking 2 inch square tubing running front to back, and along the outer edge as rocker panels. Then tacking a sheet metal floor onto it. Sheet metal dash with a giant tach. And i have a complete set of autometer gauges too (coolant/oil temp, Speedo, voltage etc)

If your gonna tell me to quit dont bother. Thid truck was my grandfathers truck and its to far gone to be road legal but he liked spinning tires and I do to so this is going to be my way of remembering him.

So post away on what your idea would be to make a floor for it,
also looking for names to call yhe team, we're located in Camden NS and want a catchy team name to put on the side of it lol
Old 09-27-2016, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Does LMC truck carry new floor panels that you can weld in, I'd look there and see if they do.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

is the trans tunnel still solid? floor panels are cheap. don't lay the cab on the side and cut the floor out. it will fold in half like a taco.

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 PM

Its a BUDGET build. As in free. Donated or hand built. Currently do not have the money to spend on a proper gm styled floor when i got to worry about finding a motor...
Old 09-27-2016, 07:23 PM

There's not much floor to cut out .we took some 2x4 and wedged it in to hold it apart..trans tunnel is mostly there. Thinking of square tubing is the best way to go. Weld it in from front to back then side to side then sheet metal ir plate for the floor itself....it doesnt hafta look good it just has to keep the cab from splitting apart and my feet out of the dirt...my buddys got a few 73-87s and hes donating a master cylinder and a set of doors...gonna mount the doors on then tip it up and start cutting/welding. Aiming for strong and protection incase of drive shaft or trans issues. So i figure steel tubing should be even stronger then factory welded right with lots of different mounting points and good mounts going to the cab mounts on the frame ...
Old 09-27-2016, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Rebuild the 350, if it still turns over with a breaker bar it could still run. Toss some fuel in the carb and see if it runs. Check the oil first.

It's cool that you want it to be a budget build but floor panels are super cheap. You'd have to buy sheet metal anyway so it's never going to be a free build, add in welding gas costs and wire etc etc.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:28 PM

Only picture i have of it at the moment....its getting new brake and fuel lines (tank amd pump) as well. Yes its rough, i know. But its a labor of love lol
Attached Thumbnails squarebody homemade floor help-screenshot_2016-09-27-21-26-16.png  
Old 09-27-2016, 07:32 PM

I don't count what i have laying around as costing me anything lol...ive got a mini scrap yard of stuff...i got the side off a ford van im going to use as a 'skin' over the floor..not expecting free but why bother with a factory floor when im just gonna go beat it in the woods....350 turns over and i was thinking of running it....carb is super gummy so waiting on my budfy to take the carb off his 350 first (hes upgrading to efi) and i need to wire it to run... (positive to solenoid on starter and one to distributor is all i need i believe ? ) then ground to the block...
Old 09-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

I would mount the motor and trans before I did the floor. That way you can make sure everything clears.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

it sounds like you already have everything figured out. take lots of pictures and start a build thread. search cag racing for some good fabrication tips.

Quick Reply: squarebody homemade floor help