Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Moderate cam for 2500hd

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moderate cam for 2500hd

Hey guys, I've been dormant for a while. Been on the hunt for about a year now for a dmax but I've decided to keep my truck for a little while. With that said, I need to change things up a bit. Don't really have the money for FI but I can def swing a set of long tubes (the cheaper variety) and/or a new cam.

Before, I was looking at the Vinci Performance "Butt Kicker" cam, which Roger talked me into, but I couldn't find through searching anyone with real world experience with that cam, maybe my search skills just such anymore.

Whats going to be a good cam for me? Truck is a 6.0 2500HD with the NV4500 I planned on keeping the manifolds for the torque but will long tubes really hurt the low end? I tow a 94 ranger rock buggy on 1 tons axles, 42's, etc. Weights in at around 6k pounds, on a flat deck bumper pull trailer, combined in at close to 10k, and I tow it 3 times a year, but any other time i drive it I'm just hot shotting around town.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the butt kicker and a set of his dual springs, just to be safe, but now I've been looking at the ls6 cam with yellow springs just to be a little more economical.

Any advice would be appreciated.. Not looking for huge top end gains, its not going to the strip, need something with a good midrange powerband.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Stay away from the Ls6 cam, low end sucks on it. Not sure the specs on the butt kicker.

Edit- just looked, that cam would work but I would lean more towards "the boss" if you are looking at Vinci grinds. If not then there are allot of other options. "The boss" appears the same as the old "Trucker cam"
Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

The trucker is still available under his "truck" section, I didn't notice the "boss" though.

Thinking after reading a bit more that I may just go with the "trucker". I re-read some past emails between Roger and I and he even said the "trucker" should pull good down low. If I'm in there I may as well get a little more bang for my buck, right? My application is slightly different though, no one has a 5 speed truck, or at least one that I could find with cams, etc so its hard to tell when and where the notice will be.

What about dual spring kits? Anything out there cheaper but of same quality to his Heavy Duty Dual kit?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I can't help other than to say I have a Butt Kicker on my bench waiting to go in. But it's going in with a set of ported heads. So it will be difficult to say how the cam alone performs.

I'll try to remember to provide an update. Hopefully next weekend I will be able to do it.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Cool, let me know either way. What springs are you running? I was gonna run duals but was thinking about grabbing some PAC 1518s. Also, what heads did you go with?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

My truck is a 2500 that mainly earns its keep pulling our RV, so I wanted to keep low-mid grunt. We have some serious mountains with looooong uphill pulls.

I'm just using LS6 springs. My truck never sees more than 5600 rpm and the .551 lift of this cam should be fine with those springs.

I got a steal on some 706 non-castech heads. Got them ported with bigger valves, unshrouded the chambers etc.

My goal is strong power from 2000-4500 or so, thats where I really need it.

I've already got long-tubes on it, and a CAI. Got e-fans as well to put in when I do the cam and heads.

I'll try tuning it myself after the cam, I have a pretty decent tune on it now. If I can't get it nailed down I've already got someone local that can do it for me.

Looking good for this weekend, I'll report back.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

well, did ya get everything installed and is she up and running?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Bump for results!!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

YEP!
Had a good weekend. After some e-fan issues that I got sorted out today, and taking some time to put a decent street tune on it, I'd say I'm more than thrilled with the results!

I'll be towing about 5500 lbs tomorrow so I'll have a better idea of that part of the story.

Some highlights: in a 6.0 with the idle bumped about 50 rpm, it's almost stock feeling/sounding at idle, other than sounding a bit "burly". It sounds really nice.

It's stronger EVERYWHERE. Right off idle it snaps nicely. This is in a 3/4 ton with 3.73 and the LOOOONG 2.48 1st gear in the 4L80E. By 2500 rpm it comes on really good, and from 3500 - 5500 it absolutely storms. Hard to believe that it's such a small cam. Not sure how much of the change is from the heads/compression, but even at part throttle, it's much stronger. And at WOT it sounds really, really good.

Some interesting notes - my max injector DC went from 74% previously with just headers and a tune to 88% with cam/heads/headers/CAI/tune.

I'm running the same total timing at WOT now at 10.4 CR as I was at 9.4 CR with stock heads with no increased KR.

Between the smooth idle and stock-on-steroids power, I'm really not sure whey GM didn't build it like this to start with...