Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Mounting electronic fans

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcat069
Thank you all for the suggestions and replies. Do any of you have part numbers for the TBSS items? I may try that after the efans. I'm not overtly concerned about issues that may arise. I do this little projects between clinical rotations to defragment my mind. I stumbled upon an old thread by screen name Whipple 496 that seems to have pictures of a shroud he made for his efan conversion ; however, I am unable to get the pictures to display. If anyone knows how to get ahold of that guy, please do so.
If you decide to play around with it. The stock 8.1 fan may already have the larger bolt circle of the TBSS and Duramax. It may be a direct bolt on. I have not had one to compare.

I do however know the Duramax fan is much quieter just sitting there freewheeling 99% of the time than those E-fans are screaming and it is alot easier on your alternator. Not to mention at idle the CFM of the Duramax fan roughly equals the electric and above idle the Duramax fan moves a TON more air. Please excuse the noisy 1.7 full roller rockers.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcat069
Thank you all for the suggestions and replies. Do any of you have part numbers for the TBSS items? I may try that after the efans. I'm not overtly concerned about issues that may arise. I do this little projects between clinical rotations to defragment my mind. I stumbled upon an old thread by screen name Whipple 496 that seems to have pictures of a shroud he made for his efan conversion ; however, I am unable to get the pictures to display. If anyone knows how to get ahold of that guy, please do so.
Regarding the pictures. Here is the few that do still show up. I have copied and attached them here for you.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy higher flowing fans that came with the max trailering package. Three6gmc did just that. See his Instagram post below.

View this post on Instagram
Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fans I purchased are Dorman part number 620-654 which is the replacement for the trucks with enhanced cooling (towing package)? They have the following specification per Dorman tech support. Hopefully they will cool appropriately; however, it's a mute point if I can't figure out how to mount them .

Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=1FastBrick;5449564]Regarding the pictures. Here is the few that do still show up. I have copied and attached them here for you.

Thank you for the pictures! It would appear that I need to construct this back/ mounting bracket. What material would you all recommend for this endeavor?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast355
TBSS = Trail Blazer SS

The 2007 Trailblazer 6.0L fan clutch has the same thread size as the water pump and the same bolt circle as the Duramax blade. Have had a Duramax fan blade and TBSS clutch on my L31 Express van for years.

Believe it or not that big massive fan actually helped my mileage compared to the stock stamped steel 5 blade fan that was always engaged because the Duramax fan could keep things cool while freewheeling with few exceptions. When I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with a trailer and the a/c blasting it kicks in momentarily when you accelerate but only engages maybe 15-30 seconds at a time as opposed to that little flyswatters near constant engagement. 42°F a/c temps are also very refreshing at idle compared to the 50-60°F the factory fan gave. I ran the factory HD Tow package fan from a 1999 Suburban for a while too which was alot better than the 5 blade steel fan but did not move nearly the air of the Duramax.
What a great and simple idea. Will any year Duramax blade work?

DEWFPO
Old 10-13-2018, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DEWFPO
What a great and simple idea. Will any year Duramax blade work?

DEWFPO
I love simple when it comes to a daily driver or tow rig. The belt turns the water pump and the water pump drives the fan. Does not get much more complicated than that.

The A/C Delco part number listed on rock auto for the fan blade is 1580690.
Fits 2001-2005 Duramax engines in trucks and 2006-2010 Duramax vans.
Hayden 2851 should fit both the 30mm x 1.5 thread pitch of the water pump and the 3.81" bolt circle of the Duramax fan. The OEM clutch for the 8.1 will not bolt to the Duramax fan. 3.25" vs 3.81" bolt circle.

The fan and clutch change is 1/2 the cost of what the electric fan assembly is itself. That is ALOT of gas you could buy and put in the tank and the mechanical setup actually cools better than the electric in my experience.

Also my appolgies to the OP of this thread. I got off topic with the mechanical fan upgrade. I hope the electrics work out for you. Just wanted to throw the information out there before you put a lot of time, effort and money and ended up disappointed in the electric setup like I did when it failed to meet my needs.

Last edited by Fast355; 10-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast355
...Just wanted to throw the information out there before you put a lot of time, effort and money and ended up disappointed
Sounds like my first marriage! No apologies necessary, sir; the information you provided was quite valuable.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Hey, folks. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but....

Any idea if the Duramax Fan + TBSS Clutch would work on a 6.0?

Many thanks for any thoughts.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still like my factory electric fans and factory harness a/c nice and cold in traffic, engine temp. nice also. Again only use FACTORY parts, used parts are better than aftermarket parts IMO

Quick Reply: Mounting electronic fans