Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

another 8.1l whipple build still questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i had a hell of a time just finding one to build my motor. I have been talking to some guys in georgia but i may consider re using the guys who built the motor in the truck currently. I just wish he was a little more email friendly. It amazes me when i meet people who avoid or still hate the internet.

I emailed multiple shops in texas incluidng reher morrison. It is like the 8.1 is such a hard motor to figure out. Raylar said he would build it for me but after shipping I am easily wasting a 1000 bucks just to ship it to cali. At least if i have the last guy do it i can pick it up when i visit the family when i get back from deployment.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this will make you mad. But if it was me sale the whipple. It sucks. I along with another guy on hear had no luck at all. I sold mine in 2 months after having it installed. Made a turbo kit and have never been happier. Also whipples customer service is a joke. Bottom line you are trying to feed 8.1l with 2.3? L. Blower. Just doesnt work. Post the whipple for sale and move on.

I did cam, headers, whipple intercooler 9 psi pully, 60 lb inejector big fuel pump and tuned with HP tuners. It took 4 seconds off my 0 to 60 time but sucked after that. Same problems the other guy had on here. The instant tq.is awesome threw first gear.

If I was sticking with going Supercharger is buy a used procharger, make the brackets and intercooler off e bay, cut some **** up and be done. I went the turbo way. Full boost by 3k rpms and can build it on the foot brake if want.

You tube. 2500burb. That's my screan name on there. There are videos of stock 0-60.. whipple 0-60 turbo 0-60. And more stuff. My junk is a true 9,000 lbs and so far we have been 14.2 @ 96 in the 1/4. And its still on a very safe 9 psi. 4wd hi will spin all 4 on a boosted launch. That's with 373 gears and 34 inch tires.

As for motor just rebuild it with good piston and be done. Maybe arp fasteners if you want and some good head gaskets.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

kinda agree kerr.. was thinking of going turbo before i found the whipple. i tow alot of weight and my main consern was that. was thinking turbo after all the bs i have read on here about both and wanted to but i decided hey this supercharger iis made for this truck so i got it .. now im at the point i have enough money in it and the internals that im kinda going for it.. ported intake/heads, nice comp cam, 42lb injectors( resizing to 60lb) walbro 255 in progress, forged pistons 60 over, ebay intercooler air to air
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kerr
I'm sure this will make you mad. But if it was me sale the whipple. It sucks. I along with another guy on hear had no luck at all. I sold mine in 2 months after having it installed.
If done right, the Whipple is not too bad. Definately not ideal for the big 8.1L, but in a 2500HD pick-up truck, a properly tuned 8.1L intercooled Whipple with a few accessories will take you very close to 12's. I am thoroughly convinced that with a CAM and some head work I would definately be in the 12.9X's.

As of right now I am running 13.2X's in the right temps.

Of course a turbo would probably get your further but if you got the stuff already, mind as well play with it .
Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
If done right, the Whipple is not too bad. Definately not ideal for the big 8.1L, but in a 2500HD pick-up truck, a properly tuned 8.1L intercooled Whipple with a few accessories will take you very close to 12's. I am thoroughly convinced that with a CAM and some head work I would definately be in the 12.9X's.

As of right now I am running 13.2X's in the right temps.

Of course a turbo would probably get your further but if you got the stuff already, mind as well play with it .
yea im still working on finishing putting it all together but right now its gonna be my camper tow truck.. still gonna be fun to **** a few ricers off though
Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

just a few pics of the progress
Attached Thumbnails another 8.1l whipple build still questions-015.jpg   another 8.1l whipple build still questions-001.jpg   another 8.1l whipple build still questions-002.jpg   another 8.1l whipple build still questions-evo4g-5-16-2012-905.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

I like the new color blue you picked. what color is the truck?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
I like the new color blue you picked. what color is the truck?
champain i belive is the stock color for gm.. gonna do new gm blue when ever i get the cash to do 3 vechiles lol..

the blue is 2 tone. valve covers/ timing chain are dark blue
block/ heads/ intake are light blue
fuel rail is gonna be dark blue also
black fan/ alternator/ whipple/ water heater line stay bracket

just a little dif colors to see how it works out
Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

holiday bump
Old 05-27-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

should be a house mover, i know i wish i could throw in an old 8.1l from a uhaul truck in a rclb 2500 and just use it to pull sleds.

Quick Reply: another 8.1l whipple build still questions