Western CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, HI, AK

How hard is it to pass emissions in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to pass emissions in CA?

I will be moving to California next year and wonder how strict the visual inspections are. Will long tubes cause issues passing smog checks? Also it seems like everytime I go there 91 octane is all I see. Is E85 available in Kern county? It will suck having to detune my truck and would like to avoid de-modding also.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is e85 some places but very rare and no long tubes deff wont pass a visiual , but ur truck is an 2011 i dont think you will have to worry about it for a nother 5 years and by then you should already know how the water travels around here ...if you know what i mean .....
Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Teching In

There is more E85 in CA than anywhere else but we do have a few dry spots. I would check out the E85 station directory website before you come out. As far as passing visual, it depends on where you go.. The issue with long tubes is it normally relocates your cats and or removes a set of cats or both completely, all of which is illegal in CA. Some shops will look past it as long as you do have cats and it passes every where else but you'd have to shop around.

Its a pain in the *** but I don't think it is half as bad as most make it out to be...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Being an 11 you wont need to be "smogged" for 5 more years. But, if and when you transfer registration to Cali that's a different story.
It will be 4-5x higher than TX btw.
So when you go to CA DMV to do actual transfer of reg. to Cali you will be inspected there. Depending on what disgruntled or leaniant or chip on their shoulder or dumb employee you get will determine you passing that inspection.
Once you pass, a Cali reg. and Cali plates will be issued to you.
They visually check to make sure out of state vehicles have the Cali/CARB legal equipment.

Passing smog is another story which you can worry about later. I'd say you have a better chance passing smog with LT's than inspection at DMV.

Welcome to Cali's b.s.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad *** Silvy
Being an 11 you wont need to be "smogged" for 5 more years. But, if and when you transfer registration to Cali that's a different story.
It will be 4-5x higher than TX btw.
So when you go to CA DMV to do actual transfer of reg. to Cali you will be inspected there. Depending on what disgruntled or leaniant or chip on their shoulder or dumb employee you get will determine you passing that inspection.
Once you pass, a Cali reg. and Cali plates will be issued to you.
They visually check to make sure out of state vehicles have the Cali/CARB legal equipment.

Passing smog is another story which you can worry about later. I'd say you have a better chance passing smog with LT's than inspection at DMV.

Welcome to Cali's b.s.
Do you mean the registration will be 4-5x $60? Holy ****.

I will always keep the cats so maybe I will have luck. This doesn't sound good.................
Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like no E85 in Bakersfield/Shafter either...........
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Yes sir, on my 05 VHO I paid around 385 for registration for 1 year IIRC.
Keeping your cats you should be ok. Just say this is how it came from the factory.
I bought a Utah car and had it inspected down here in SoCal in Arleta. My DMV guy was cool. Visully checked me and good. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Bad Ass Silvy; 11-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad *** Silvy
Yes sir, on my 05 VHO I paid around 385 for registration for 1 year IIRC.
Keeping your cats you should be ok. Just say this is how it came from the factory.
I bought a Utah car and had it inspected down here in SoCal in Arleta. My DMV guy was cool. Visully checked me and good. Best of luck to you.
Dammit man, that is a serious "registration fee". Both of my main hobbies will be taking a serious hit it seems.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 91Z28
Dammit man, that is a serious "registration fee". Both of my main hobbies will be taking a serious hit it seems.
on an 11 man its gonna be over 400 for sure
Old 11-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

wth? why would teh dmv guy check under the hood? If anything they would send the car/truck to a state ref.

My pops bought an 01 sierra from iowa, all the dmv did was ask for a weight cert from a certified wight sataion, smog, and odo check which the dmv did.

btw this was on a federal spec sierra.

Last edited by 1FSTMAX; 11-09-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to pass emissions in CA?