WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

New Rifle opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc3521
As for the Ruger precision rifle, I actually was considering it until I got to shoot one. The recoil was nothing, the weight was perfect, but the stock didn't really fit me. I found it to be uncomfortable the whole time. The accuracy was decent though.
it has a fully adjustable stock. how was it uncomfortable? is it just the pistol grip style rifle?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
it has a fully adjustable stock. how was it uncomfortable? is it just the pistol grip style rifle?
It's a little difficult to explain. No matter how much I adjusted it, it almost felt too thin. Kind of like an accu stock on a Magnum if you know what I mean. If it had felt like my ar10 does, this conversation would never have happened.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
sorry it wasn't taken how I intended... broken down to the basics, the 700 is the most used long range rifle in the world for a reason... if it isn't shooting right then there are three variables well four really including weather conditions. Shooter, ammo and proper setup for the weapon are the other three.

Take the rifle to a professional and have it checked out, tell them exactly what the issue is and they can go over it and tell you if there is an issue with it. If it's fine, then you need to look at the other two variables in the equation.
Bud, I hate to break it to you but the reason the 700 is the most popular action is the same reason silverados are the most popular hot rod trucks. Put simply, aftermarket support and price. There's nothing really special about them that puts them above a model 70 or savage action. In all reality, the savage's typically outshoot either. However, that means you're stock with that sloppy bolt.
Now if we can get back on topic, id like to hear some real world opinions on the FN spr rifles.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc3521
Bud, I hate to break it to you but the reason the 700 is the most popular action is the same reason silverados are the most popular hot rod trucks.
you're right up to that point of your post... they are the most used, because they are the best, just like Silverados are the most used because they are the best and fastest.

As far as the FN, I have shot several of their products in the past and they are always very finely made. Shoot one, that's the only way you'll know how well you like it.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
you're right up to that point of your post... they are the most used, because they are the best, just like Silverados are the most used because they are the best and fastest.

As far as the FN, I have shot several of their products in the past and they are always very finely made. Shoot one, that's the only way you'll know how well you like it.
I guess you'd have to define best. Are they the strongest? No, the Wby mkv action holds that title. The Mauser has the most positive extraction. The sako actions are just about the stiffest. The savage, of all things, is usually the most precise out of the box. What the 700 does have is a military contract and a massive aftermarket with it. They're not bad actions, just as the Silverado isn't a bad truck. What it offers is easy and cheap tuneability when compared to other systems. True up the action, m16 extractor, aftermarket barrel, change out the stock, aftermarket trigger, and true the bolt/lugs and then you'll be competitive on all fronts. However, for the same price, and a little bit of compromise, you could buy a factory rifle that'll shoot just as well. Of course, at that point, you may as well go to a defiance action or one of the many other modified actions. Just my two cents. Personally, I would take positive extraction over any of the above as where I live, there are things that will hunt you back. As for shooting an FN, I'd love to. Unfortunately, no one around here has one. Oddly enough, the most popular rifles here are for hunting, weatherby and savage. For target work, sako. I do appreciate your input sir.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shupe
Sorry to hear the setup is inconsistent. Maybe time to sell.

rijrunr- which magnification on the ATN did you go with?
Im using the 3-14