Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Tuning after a pro tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning after a pro tune

So I just had my truck tuned for one intake (Holley Hi-Ram) Turd for NA below 7K rpm

I replaced it with a ported L92 intake which has sooo much more mid range HP and TQ already without a tune, but there are some discrepancies and flat spots I can feel.

Since I had the tough stuff done already by the Tuner, I don't really need to mess with the timing tables - at least I don't think so. Could I go in and adjust the AFR? Do I need to completely redo the VE table or can I just adjust the PE Command?

I never meant to tune this truck by myself, but it's fun to tinker with and I don't think I can really mess too much up as long as I don't touch the timing tables.

I plan on getting a wideband gauge with an output to work in the EGR pin and be able to log it in HPT

Thanks
Old 07-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Changing the intake will change your airflow. The timing table is based off of your airflow readings.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Launching!

So - From what I've read - I have to go drive around for a while logging my VE table with my MAF virtually disconnected. Then paste those values into the tuner VE table and add/subtract them or something, cant remember exactly but I have the pages added to my favorites so I can go back and read them.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Would it be different if I had wideband?
Old 07-15-2016, 02:02 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Do you want the simple easy answer or the long technical one lol
Old 07-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Haha smokeshow, I think I know the answer but everything I've found online is "years" old and my tuner tuned the truck in so little time, it makes me wonder what he did to make it so easy.

I'm thinking he's tuned so many vehicles over the years that he has files that are already so on the money that he just uploaded them to my PCM.

If I want to "tune" I'll have to do it the long way.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:33 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Log fuel error against the VE table (if your MAF is gone/disabled) and/or the MAF table and apply to your tune file. 5% error in the scanner means add/subtract 5% "air" into those tables.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

A correction to your airmass estimation for the new intake flow dynamics will also correct your actual timing values. Assuming the original timing values were dialed in well, no actual timing changes need to be made. Sort of counter-intuitive, but that's how it works out.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Atomic
Log fuel error against the VE table (if your MAF is gone/disabled) and/or the MAF table and apply to your tune file. 5% error in the scanner means add/subtract 5% "air" into those tables.
LOL - I wish I knew what that meant

Does that mean use the scanner to log a graph of something?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Oh boy haha

I do email tuning if you want me to do it for you

But if you want to learn, then yea you are basically recording in the scanner how "off" the tune file is by logging the various sensors on the vehicle then adjusting the tune so the error is smaller.

Quick Reply: Tuning after a pro tune