Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

TSP stage 2 cam 2014 Silverado WOT Vvt tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP stage 2 cam 2014 Silverado WOT Vvt tuning??

Guys I installed the stage 2 cam from TSP on my 14 Silverado, I do my own tuning and I'm new to the vvt cams. I was talking to a guy at the track he was telling me about tuning the vvt, It help him a lot on he's truck. He show me the tables basically they zero out the WOT part of the vvt camshaft tables it was 2 tables.
My truck run the same as it was running with no cam, 😡.
2014 long tubes, cold air intake, 3200 circle d converter and the stage 2 cam. 13.2 the best time on a 1.7 60ft airfuel it's right timing it's around 22*

Just wondering if I zero out my tables would help or i have to know how to calibrate or how they work?? I'm disappoint on this times just spend 2,500 on a cam kit to run the same.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by urdone
Guys I installed the stage 2 cam from TSP on my 14 Silverado, I do my own tuning and I'm new to the vvt cams. I was talking to a guy at the track he was telling me about tuning the vvt, It help him a lot on he's truck. He show me the tables basically they zero out the WOT part of the vvt camshaft tables it was 2 tables.
My truck run the same as it was running with no cam, 😡.
2014 long tubes, cold air intake, 3200 circle d converter and the stage 2 cam. 13.2 the best time on a 1.7 60ft airfuel it's right timing it's around 22*

Just wondering if I zero out my tables would help or i have to know how to calibrate or how they work?? I'm disappoint on this times just spend 2,500 on a cam kit to run the same.
Generally, with vvt, you advance the cam on the low end and slowly retard it at upper rpms.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Launching!

So trying this would it have a certain point where I can hurt something? This guy just zeronout the table I check my file and the low end was as mine there where not modified.

Last edited by urdone; 12-06-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

So trying this I won't hurt something?
Not at all. I wouldn't go all crazy with it. I'd keep it to within +-10 degrees. I don't know what the max advance/retard is, that's why I say 10 degrees.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

So trying this would it have a certain point where I can hurt something? This guy just zeronout the table I check my file and the low end was as mine there where not modified.
Zero'ing it out usually means the tuner is making up for it in the main spark table somewhere.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Launching!

So the only way knowing where the truck gain power it's at a dyno or test it at the track??
I can start with half the table and try it out and fork there on see what it likes?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

So the only way knowing where the truck gain power it's at a dyno or test it at the track??
I can start with half the table and try it out and fork there on see what it likes?
That's right. Track or dyno. Your theory is sound. Make little changes at a time.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default VVT Cam

Mine is set so i have the max adv it can take at low end
for good hole shots, and street driving. then retards at hi rpm's
for good top end power. gives pretty good gas mpg also.
dyno tuned.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:43 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

You can't get away with touching just two tables. The phase angle itself is dependent on a number of variables outside of RPM, such as accelerator pedal position, barometric pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, and likely a slew of other things. Once its got the desired cam phase angle, then the actual cam position values are fed into the equation that calculates the virtual VE. The coefficients of that equation must be calibrated as well. All of this then feeds into spark advance determination. I'm curious why TSP doesn't provide some sort of 'base tune' values for these camshafts. It takes a lot of time and effort to make one of these things run to its potential.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokeshow
You can't get away with touching just two tables. The phase angle itself is dependent on a number of variables outside of RPM, such as accelerator pedal position, barometric pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, and likely a slew of other things. Once its got the desired cam phase angle, then the actual cam position values are fed into the equation that calculates the virtual VE. The coefficients of that equation must be calibrated as well. All of this then feeds into spark advance determination. I'm curious why TSP doesn't provide some sort of 'base tune' values for these camshafts. It takes a lot of time and effort to make one of these things run to its potential.
Thanks for your advice.
What compsny or who sells camshafts for this trucks and provide a base tune? I ask Texas speed for the WOT vvt tuning base Tune and they they do provide but never got it, after I got te cam kit I called to ask and they just say ask your tuner. 😑