Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Service Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Service Charging System

Today I had both front doors open removing some old tint and started the truck to move it and got this warning in the display. Checked the voltage and it was about 12.6 With key off engine off, and about 14.6-7 with the engine running. Everything works fine, lights are bright etc, just this warning with a battery light in the dash.

Any ideas??

I've got it sitting with the battery disconnected right now.

-figures the 07 electrical problems would surface two days before were supposed to leave on vacation
Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did the same thing but after i left it running for alittle while the light turned off. Im guessing it was just thinking the battery wasnt being charged? Then just recently it would come on at random times. I ended up just cleaning all contact/terminals and all is good.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it probly got the battery so low that it couldn't catch up to charge it so it displayed that, try sitting and holding it at about 2000rpms for a couple minutes
or if you have a friend with an AVR machine, test the battery and the alternator
Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts
Talking

Looks like it's time for a trade in...

Should I start looking for a GMT800 for you?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Well when the time comes, I'll be putting out the word to you I don't mind having one shipped from wherever if I find the right one.

I took it for a quick drive and it was still on when I got back but the voltage hadn't changed at all. I'm going to go back outside in a few and reconnect every and see what happens. I had the doors open for 45min? No radio on, just whatever interior lights. I did have the key turned to acc, so I could roll the windows up and down.

Just a pain in the ***... As usual.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Well when the time comes, I'll be putting out the word to you I don't mind having one shipped from wherever if I find the right one.

I took it for a quick drive and it was still on when I got back but the voltage hadn't changed at all. I'm going to go back outside in a few and reconnect every and see what happens. I had the doors open for 45min? No radio on, just whatever interior lights. I did have the key turned to acc, so I could roll the windows up and down.

Just a pain in the ***... As usual.
HA HA!

Well if you find your self in the market and something pops up in this area, Let me know.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Reconnected everything and no more lights. Drove the truck and everything looks fine. It actually seems to start better? Who knows. Probably in my head.

All I give a damn is that the light is off and it's charging.

I'll be taking my extra long jumper cables with me on vacation so you window lickers around the DC area keep your ears on for an SOS!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did the terminals at the alternator look? any corrosion?
I haven't seen it but I've heard the negative for the battery has connection issues
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Every connection was spotless. I took them all loose and went over them with a brass wire brush and put some dielectric grease on everything before I put it back together. Lots of reports of this being caused by a weak or failing battery. I'm going to load test it today and see. It's the Optima Red top that replaces the stocker and it's going on 3 years old.

I'll be in the market for a better, high end type battery anyway something like a Stinger or Kinetik. I can't have my wife and daughter's primary vehicle having electrical issues.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

You sun of a biscuit eating bull dog!!!

So after leaving the door open on my 05 while working on it today, it did the same exact thing.

It need's to be driven a short distance under load for the charging system to bring it back and for the light to go out.

FWIW allowing it to sit with everything electrical turned off and bringing up the RPM's will not do it. It needs to be driven under a load. As soon as I got out on the main street and got it up to Speed it went off after about a mile. The DIC then displays a "Check Charging System" warning. Easily cleared by checking the mileage.

Hope this helps some one in the future

Quick Reply: Service Charging System