Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Gauge cluster issues, lights and gauges working randomly???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge cluster issues, lights and gauges working randomly???

Hey guys, newish member, been searching and reading alot but had a few questions. I recently bought an 06 silverado with the 5.3/4l60e and am having some issues with the gauges.

I have read several threads here with similar issues after doing tons of searching, but none had any definitive solutions to the problem.

1) The lights such as airbag,ses,abs,brake light in the dash stay on, or partly stay on.

2) The prnd321 gear indicator doesnt work usually. When it does, it cuts in and out like its a contact issue in the ground or source. When it does work, it also doesnt show the gear its in.

3) The speedo and tach normally work, but act like they are sticking when going through the rpm/mph sweep on the gauge. The tach also likes to get stuck at 6k rpm and not come down, or they both like to stop working all together, but not as often. Usually atleast these two gauges work.

4) The 4 small gauges for volts, oil pressure, coolant temp, and gas level havent worked in the last few weeks, but today after doing some maintenance stuff on the truck, cleaned the ground under the driver side of the cab and now they work about 4 out of 5 times in the truck, so atleast they are working some of the time now.

5) Also the message center displays the oil needs changed, did it, and now I cant program it because somebody stole the factory cd played out of it
I also get an unknown driver message/driver 1

6) also my scanner wont connect through the diagnostic port. Dont know why, had a little indicator that shows its communicating with the computer, and there is power through the circuit, tested it with a multimeter.

I think thats it. Any ideas? Has anybody out there had this or similar stuff happen and found a solution or fix that worked other than it fixed itself? I have gotten all of the maintenance stuff done on it fluid and mechanically, but would now like to chase down these little bugs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remington
Old 12-18-2009, 08:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I am working on a 02 tahoe same issues..... tried to run a log with HP tuners and couldn't connect.... checking grounds and wires but then computer will be next....????
Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad ground somewhere?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Launching!

I removed, cleaned, and reattached the two grounds underneath the driver side of the cab that mounts to the body support, and it seemed to help a little bit, but they are still acting funny.

I was watching while driving last night, the voltage gauge especially would bounce back and forth as it powered up and then cut out. The other smaller gauges would do it also, but not nearly as bad. Also when I would turn on my hibeams, and then turn them off, the indicator lamp in the cluster would stay on. And when I shut the truck off, the cluster, and a/c backlighting would stay on. Headlights everything else would shut off just like they are suppose to.

The abs, and parking brake lights stayed on the whole time as well, even though the abs system is fine, and the parking brake wasnt engaged.

I think today I am going to be checking a few more grounds on the outside of the body and then pulling the interior out to check out all of the wiring in the interior.

What major grounding points should I look at in the interior?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a splice pack under the dash for the class 2 data system, it sorta looks like a connector with wires on one side only. a bad contact there can do wierd stuff like this, pull the connector apart and make sure the pins are clean and tight. should be located behind the dash fuse block.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastgmc53
I am working on a 02 tahoe same issues..... tried to run a log with HP tuners and couldn't connect.... checking grounds and wires but then computer will be next....????
did you check the cig lighter fuse under the hood?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 454SuperSport
there is a splice pack under the dash for the class 2 data system, it sorta looks like a connector with wires on one side only. a bad contact there can do wierd stuff like this, pull the connector apart and make sure the pins are clean and tight. should be located behind the dash fuse block.
Thanks for the info, will have to check that tomorrow afternoon after I get the interior back in the truck.

I pulled all the seats and flooring out to clean out all the dirt and everything else in there and see what shape the floor was in and to check out the shape of all the wiring looms running around to make sure they werent worn through. Not bad, found a few small spots that I will be splicing, and giving a few extra wraps with electrical tape to protect it a little better.

So then I got to put down the dynamat that I bought a while back. I got about half way finished with the floor and completely covered the back of the cab, but then it got dark so I had to quit for the day. Hopefully that will cut the road noise to nearly zero and help with the clarity of the stereo.

Also found out maybe why the air bad light is on in the gauge cluster. Apparently somebody changed out the seats at one time from a crew cab chevy pickup(even found the tag that says crew cab underneath the seat lol), and the airbag/seat belt indicator plug underneath the seats that connect them to the harness was the wrong connector and just left un plugged and sitting. So I guess if I want the system to be functional, I will have to get a seat from an extended cab truck with the correct plug to work.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

well to the top for another day. been reading a bunch of threads having to do with cluster issues and things like that. Read in a thread, that a member was having some crazy similar issues like the gauges jumping back and forth from working to non-working and it ended up being the ignition harness I think.

Here is the link.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...oblem+ignition

I have a new symptom though that just popped up last night. My backup lights no longer turn on when I shift into reverse. Occasionally they will come on and go out. Im pretty sure its not prndl switch on the transmission because when it turns on and turns back off *when it does work*, I can hear a little click from in the dash almost like a relay or something clicking on and off. Didnt think there is a relay for the reverse lights, but I have been wrong before.

Anyways, wasnt really productive today, but did get all the dynamat in the truck and layed down smooth with the supplied wooden roller. On top of that, I layed down some 1/8" thick foam with a glue backing on one side and aluminum foil on the other, similar to dynamat only with a thin layer of foam instead of tar like stuff. Figure it will help tremendously with the road noise or future exhaust upgrade, and help to insulate to improve stereo quality.

One thing is for sure, I tossed a 15" crescent wrench onto the floor of the cab and all I heard was a light thud, Im satisfied.

Fastgmc53, any updates on the tahoe?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Well to the top for Sunday night.

Earlier this afternoon I found out what was causing the reverse lights to cut out. Found an exposed wire that had the insulation rubbed through on the harness right next to where the connector is that connects the harness to the prndl indicator on the transmission. So tomorrow I will be pulling it out to check and see if there are any other wires that have been damaged in the harness.

On to the cluster issues. Still working on it, cleaned the grounds again under the cab on the driver side and they seem to be working a little better now but still cut in and out irratically, jumping between on and off. Also whenever the gauges begin to act up or short out, I will get an unknown driver. But when they come on, I will get the normal driver 1 message.

While it was running and the gauges were working, I will able to hook my handheld scanner up to the system, and it connected and there were no trouble codes in the system whatsoever. But again when it started cutting in and out with the unknown driver message, it lost communications with the system. I have read about this issue several times before in other threads, but they never came to a solution, only that it fixed itself mysteriously...or just went away.

Have still yet to find any time to tear into the dash, but bought another cluster online that should be arriving this week, and will hopefully help with atleast the tach and speedo sticking and getting stuck at max rpm or 0 mph.

Still planning on checking the spliced connector pack that 454supersport posted up about,

Thanks btw, gives me hope that it is something simple. Not so much a needle in a haystack...I hope.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I just got back from vacation ... I should get the guys truck in this weekend to play around with..... I hope I can help you figure it out

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster issues, lights and gauges working randomly???