Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Future proof tuning options

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Future proof tuning options

I will admit that the only experience I have with tuning is a Superchip Flashpaq that I had in my Ram days.

Originally I had planned on just putting a muffler and a canned diablo tune on my truck and just drive it. I know I won't be able to help myself though so I want to make sure I get this right the first time instead of buying a handheld and then it end up being wasted money when things get more serious.

My philosophy is that if something goes bad on the truck to replace it with something better. I just noticed an exhaust leak do to a broken manifold bolt. I figured if I'm taking that manifold off I don't want to put it back on. I'm planning on ordering a set of Speed Engineering LT's/ORY. I'll need to turn off rear o2's and do the EGR delete.

I know that if I get the inTune I can get a Diablew tune and Lew can take care of those things for me. The problem is that I also plan on doing an 80e whenever the day comes that my transmission goes out. A 6.0L swap is another thing I'd like to eventually get to. That stuff is probably not going to happen for a while but I could see myself camming the 4.8L.

Do I get the Blackbear autocal, inTune + Diablew tune, or something else? I don't believe the Diablo CMR stuff can do the segment swap for the 4l80e. I don't even really know what that means but I think I read that earlier. This stuff might not happen for a long time I just don't know. But, if I ever come across a good deal on an engine/trans I'd probably jump on it.

Sorry for the complete newb post but I don't want to spend $500 now when it will be a waste later.

Joey
Old 08-19-2015, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

I couldn't find what I was looking for earlier but changed my search terms a little.

Disregard the first post. I know what I need to do now.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want future proof just buy HP Tuners.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I am looking into that too. I love to learn new things and that does seem like the way to go for pretty much enabling me to do whatever I want with the truck.

Like I said I really enjoy reading and learning as much as I can but is it hard for a beginner to get good gains without messing up?