FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

ATI ProCharger remote drain - braided hose w/ plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI ProCharger remote drain - braided hose w/ plug

Thought you guys might be interested to know that when I called ProCharger asking about an adapter for the drain plug (to attach a hose) they said they have a hose kit now. He had to check to make sure it was ready to sell, so I guess it is a new thing they offer now. Basically, they sent me an adapter that converted from the plug (which I think is called an o-ring boss) to a AN style fitting, then a length of braided stainless hose and a AN style plug.

I've been unhappy with that drain plug from day one. It is impossible to drain without making a mess, and the o-ring always seems to get tore up, causing leaks. (I think the mating surfaced machined into the ProCharger housing is made wrong... the female fittings I've seen used with that type of hydraulic fitting have angled surface for the o-ring to seat on, not a flat surface)

They also sold me an extra plug with a magnet in it to replace one of the other plugs since using the hose adapter removed the magnet. The new plug interfered with another bolt, so I had to do a little "clearance" work on it to make it fit.

I originally called to get a new idler pulley. This is the second idler pulley to have bearing failure. The first cratered at about a year, this one at around the 2 year mark.

Here are a few pictures:

Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a similar setup on my paxton self contained unit on the suburban. after having a drain on the head unit in the tahoe 5 years ago when it was procharged, and working on them on some buddy's vettes......I was bitching and moaning when the guys at the shop said oh we're gonna but a SC unit on the sub......then I saw the drain line and said sweet. Makes things 10x's easier to work with

as for the pulleys, they use a standard timken bearing.....if you can find an industrial supply house and bring them whats left (ID and OD) you can probably save yourself some dough, that is if the outside of the pulley is salvageable.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More pics of the drain tube...

I usually end up taking the head unit off and draining it on the bench. A remote drain spot would be great!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet so you just ordered it straight from procharger
Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Y2KLimited
as for the pulleys, they use a standard timken bearing.....if you can find an industrial supply house and bring them whats left (ID and OD) you can probably save yourself some dough, that is if the outside of the pulley is salvageable.
I thought the same thing and in the end was sorry I didn't just order a new one to start with. NAPA charged me $20/ea for the bearings, even after my haggling. I took the the pulley to a shop with a press near my house and the morons managed to screw the whole thing up. First they decided it would be better to reuse one of the old bearings and add two more... guess they didn't see a need for that snap ring retainer. They also lost the spacer. I just donated the scrap for their use, never setting foot back in there again.

Procharger only charged about $50 for the idler this time. (seems like they charged me $100 last time, which is why I was avoiding them)
Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
More pics of the drain tube...

I usually end up taking the head unit off and draining it on the bench. A remote drain spot would be great!
I was too embarrassed of the thick layer of grime in the area where the drain plug is at to take pictures. (grime is from oil from the ProCharger over the past few years)

I'll see if I can clean it up a bit this weekend and get some pictures of the lower part of the hose where the plug is at.