Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fitch Fuel Catalyst Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitch Fuel Catalyst Install

I've seen a few tests on this product and was a little curious. I'm always looking for something to help economy, but have been leary about what this product is supposed to do. I came across a good deal on one and decided it would be worth the money if it performs part of what it is supposed to. The company claims 1-2 mpg gain, cleaner fuel, ability to drop octane grade, and small gains in performance. Here is the product:

It is a simple canister that splices into the fuel line and has some "magic fairy dust" inside to transform your fuel. The fuel lines come with quick connects and a quick connect tool to make installation very easy. It also comes with a couple of mounting clamps. I found a spot right in front of the gas tank that I could mount it. I made a couple of aluminum plates for a backing plate:

The spot I picked to mount already had a tab with a couple holes. I drilled another hole in this tab and used the lower two holes in my plate to secure it to the frame. I used one of the to hold a clamp as well. I used the top hole in the plate to hold the other clamp. The reason I used two plates is to double up on the strength because I couldn't find anything thicker. Once mounted to the frame I spliced it into the fuel line and was finished. Took me about 30 minutes to install. Here are some finished shots:

In the last shot you can see it barely hangs down below the frame. This spot worked out good at being close to the the tank and also high enough to not get snagged on anything below. I still need to add a couple zip ties to the lines and might even make a small skid plate as well.

After a few days driving it seems to have a little more pep and throttle response, but nothing substantial as expected. It could just be in my head too. I will continue to run 93 octane for a couple tanks to see if there is any improvement. Then I will drop down to 89 to see if there is any change and also might try 87. My goal is to get .5 mpg gain or be able to drop down to 89. I will update the thread to show my findings using each tank of city driving.

Before (running 93 octane) - 15.7 mpg

After (on 93) - 15.4 mpg
(2nd) - 16.8 mpg
(3rd) - 16.3 mpg
(4th) - 16.5 mpg
(5th) - 16.4 mpg
(6th) - 16.4 mpg
(7th) - 17.1 mpg
(8th) - 16.7 mpg

(on 89) - 17.6 mpg

Last edited by mabutler; 04-10-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! lol, great job on the install and write up. From time to time members have asked about this product, I have always had big doubts, but now we may find out.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trever1t
Finally! lol, great job on the install and write up. From time to time members have asked about this product, I have always had big doubts, but now we may find out.
I was able to get it a little cheaper than normal and after bringing it up a while ago and seeing that none of us really knows anything about it, I figured i'd try it out. If it meets my goals it will pay for itself in 2 years. If not, then nobody else will have to waste their money.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

ECOTAZ...yay!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xlcooplx
ECOTAZ...yay!
He sent me one of his dealies for free to test. I did some logging with EFILive and picked up a lot more KR with his filter thingy than I did without it. There was a HUGE thread on GMFS about his product since he became a sponsor over there for a little while. A lot of people installed the Eco unit and noticed large increases in mileage initially, then it began to drop back to where it was. I personally think it was the placebo affect. Once they installed the Eco, they started to be more conscious about their driving habits, then once they got used to it their driving habits returned to normal, as did the fuel mileage.

To the OP: I doubt that you'll be able to drop octane levels. My brief period of experimenting with the similar product showed me that it created more KR on 91 octane than I previously had. I hope your results are otherwise, but I'll be skeptical until I see the proof.

In case anyone is interested in the GMFS threads for ECOTAZ:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54038
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57391
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63067
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunder550
He sent me one of his dealies for free to test. I did some logging with EFILive and picked up a lot more KR with his filter thingy than I did without it. There was a HUGE thread on GMFS about his product since he became a sponsor over there for a little while. A lot of people installed the Eco unit and noticed large increases in mileage initially, then it began to drop back to where it was. I personally think it was the placebo affect. Once they installed the Eco, they started to be more conscious about their driving habits, then once they got used to it their driving habits returned to normal, as did the fuel mileage.

To the OP: I doubt that you'll be able to drop octane levels. My brief period of experimenting with the similar product showed me that it created more KR on 91 octane than I previously had. I hope your results are otherwise, but I'll be skeptical until I see the proof.

In case anyone is interested in the GMFS threads for ECOTAZ:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54038
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57391
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63067
yeah. i remember we had a ball with him being on there
Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some of you may have seen it on Horsepower tv, but they ran a dyno test on a ls1. It showed the motor used less fuel/hr using this product. They did several pulls using higher octane and 89 with generally the same results. However, it was only a few pulls and was a paying sponsor.

I hope you have good, long term results. How close is that line to the exhaust pipe?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Slightly OT but still discussing alleged fuel saving technologies, does anyone remember a couple years ago when adding acetone was supposed to save fuel? What ever happened to that? Ineffective? Bad long term consequences?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Silver-Dollar
I hope you have good, long term results. How close is that line to the exhaust pipe?
Thanks, it's over a foot away.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mabutler
It is a simple canister that spices into the fuel line and has some "magic fairy dust" inside to transform your fuel.
LMAO, Good luck and Nice write up..

Quick Reply: Fitch Fuel Catalyst Install