Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Ve tuning guide

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning guides/links

Tuning the Ve is a PITA and also time consuming but it is the foundation of a good tune once you get it right its well worth it.

Edit: heres the maf tuning guide also complete after the VE
Edit: after ve and maf here is the pe tuning
Edit: added Injector pulse width chart from red hard supra, thanks for putting it together
Edit: This link explains the tables that are involved in properly tuning idle. Great info explains phenominia with cruising effect, hanging rpms etc...
thanks gameover for taking the time to do a great writeup
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394929

Here is redhardsupras blog site contains a wealth of spreadsheets and calcs along with a tremendous amount of info he has put together
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/
Attached Files
File Type: zip
injpwcalc.zip (9.6 KB, 1785 views)
File Type: doc
tuning trims.doc (28.0 KB, 10890 views)
Maf tuning.doc (26.5 KB, 2323 views)
Power enrichment tuning.doc (23.0 KB, 3319 views)

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 10-31-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, especially the step by step telling where in HP Tuners the stuff is. Once I get a good day to do mine, I'll be using yours. Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Very good info.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Wow, nice work! Looing forward to your future guides
Old 08-13-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks

just so you guys know the pe thing does work I have mine set to 1.112 from 0 to 6000 rpms and I get consistent 890's

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 08-14-2005 at 12:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Littlefield (04-09-2018)
Old 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Well I tried it out today but found some issues. I am using HP Tuners V1.7 on an 03'.

1. On the first step under edit-engine-fuel control-Open&Closed loop, I did not have a way to set the long term fuel trim enable to false. See attached file.

2. Since I couldn't disable my LTFT to adjust the STFT I just went straight to adjusting the LTFTs.

3. I'm kind of confused on which is the correct way to get LTFTs. One documentation on HP Tuners forum says to drive around for about 15 minutes, scan, adjust, drive and scan again. Doing this about 4-5 times in one day.
Now you say to drive over a period of weeks Sorry I guess I'm too impatient for that. So I just finished up doing it the other way and hopefully I did it right but after the last time of scanning, all my LTFT numbers where either 0 or around -1/-2.

Just figure I'd throw this out there to let you know how it worked.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zick
Well I tried it out today but found some issues. I am using HP Tuners V1.7 on an 03'.

1. On the first step under edit-engine-fuel control-Open&Closed loop, I did not have a way to set the long term fuel trim enable to false. See attached file.

2. Since I couldn't disable my LTFT to adjust the STFT I just went straight to adjusting the LTFTs.

3. I'm kind of confused on which is the correct way to get LTFTs. One documentation on HP Tuners forum says to drive around for about 15 minutes, scan, adjust, drive and scan again. Doing this about 4-5 times in one day.
Now you say to drive over a period of weeks Sorry I guess I'm too impatient for that. So I just finished up doing it the other way and hopefully I did it right but after the last time of scanning, all my LTFT numbers where either 0 or around -1/-2.

Just figure I'd throw this out there to let you know how it worked.

1. There are 2 other ways to disable ltft. Adjust the closed loop enable ect vs iat to max ( this table disables lt's until the engine is up to temp normally) or you can disable it within the scanner under tools-vcm control-fuel & spark tab-click on fuel trim learn off button.
MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON THE RESET FUEL TRIMS BEFORE LOGGING AND AFTER CHANGING THE VE all lt's should go to 0

Ive been using v1.6 and just been waiting on 2.0 to come out.

2.thats cool

3.ltft's will not properly update within 15 minutes. When I first got into this I couldnt figure out why my trims werent lineing up but I kept after it day after day. This process is the quickest I have found takes about 4-5 days. you will find over time loggin once or twice a day and adjusting they will line up and be consistent where as if you log 5 times in one day and adjust they will tend to stray over time in the next couple of days. Several conditions go into the actual air that enters the engine ie altitude, temperature, baraometer, humidity and these things effect trims this is also why it is better to run a maf because it takes some of those variables into account.

Im just like you I like to fix **** and see the results instantly but unfortunately patience is needed here for it to be correct, the immediate results can be misleading and it can get frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Guess I will have to keep an eye on them in the next few days.

What is the benefit of adjusting STFTs? That topic doesn't seem to come up as often as the LTFTs.

Thanks

Edit: btw if I want to keep running in SD mode, what all has to be done? I figured I'd have to keep the MAF frequency at 0. Am I able to turn back on the SES light or will that get set off because of the MAF being unplugged?

Last edited by Zick; 08-14-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Guess I will have to keep an eye on them in the next few days.

What is the benefit of adjusting STFTs? That topic doesn't seem to come up as often as the LTFTs.

Thanks
The stft's are the "first line of defense" they get immediate readings for triming then are filtered onto ltft. I think they speed the ve tuning process and I have better luck tuning them first then the lt's as they get the lt's inline quickly. Most people would probably be happy just to tune them for 20 minutes and re-enable the lt's I like to get the ve as close to perfect as possible.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Edit: btw if I want to keep running in SD mode, what all has to be done? I figured I'd have to keep the MAF frequency at 0. Am I able to turn back on the SES light or will that get set off because of the MAF being unplugged?
yes keep it at 0

the maf shouldnt be unplugged has the iat sensor in it, the se light will effect nothing on or off same with the code for the maf

Quick Reply: Ve tuning guide