PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Walbro 450 Install (in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see pic. but the gray part you don't use. you mount the pump in the bucket by zip tie or a homemade bracket. Then run a hose up to the top of the sender but put loop in hose so it will have move to press without kinking hose. cut hose about 2in install tee fitting install hose on tee run over to the long fill tube. I always install a worm clamp at the bottom of fill tube to hold it in bucket.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

For the clamps, go to home depot ang get the 3/8" Oetiker clamps in the plumbing section. Avoid using a worm clamp in the tank.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Can you post a pic of the assmebly as to why it's not fitting? The 450 shouldn't be much bigger if any than the stocker, maybe just as the base.

Also, where's your bed? You're doing this swap in a carport?
I had to put the stock pump back in because the way I want to do it I am going to need two U-shaped barbed fittings. This way basically all I will have to do is run the line from the walbro out of the bucket, install u-shaped barbed fitting, then run a line back into the bucket, install another u-shaped fitting and then run that line to the fitting where the stock fuel pump connected to. The fitting on the walbro is too tall to run a line from it to where where the stock pump connected to inside the bucket, and i don't want to try and bend the fuel line that much inside the bucket. Thats why i will be using the two u-shaped barbed fittings to leave the bucket and then go back in.
As for getting the stock sending unit back in, it was a pain but i got it to fit after messing with it for like 30 minutes and As for the bed, yes I did this under a car port and I pulled the bed with a cherry picker
Now i just need to order some barb fittings and drive around bedless for a few days
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Byrdman11
I can see pic. but the gray part you don't use. you mount the pump in the bucket by zip tie or a homemade bracket. Then run a hose up to the top of the sender but put loop in hose so it will have move to press without kinking hose. cut hose about 2in install tee fitting install hose on tee run over to the long fill tube. I always install a worm clamp at the bottom of fill tube to hold it in bucket.
But what about this thing? If you don't run the line to where the stock pump connects, you would be bypassing this?
Attached Thumbnails Walbro 450 Install (in progress)-img_1920.jpg  
Old 03-13-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cut all that crap out and use a metal ziptie (from HD) to secure the pump to the wall of the bucket. The other method you proposed of running the line in and out of the tank seems absurd.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cut all that crap out and use a metal ziptie (from HD) to secure the pump to the wall of the bucket. The other method you proposed of running the line in and out of the tank seems absurd.
Cut what out? How are you all bypassing that thing that my hand is on in the picture in my last post? Isn't that the fuel pressure regulator? I can't comprehend how it will work right without that?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have you verified that it will actually be able to handle the output of the 450? I highly doubt a stock in-tank regulator can accurately control a 450. Is the 450 going to be pulse width modulated?
Old 03-13-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you verified that it will actually be able to handle the output of the 450? I highly doubt a stock in-tank regulator can accurately control a 450. Is the 450 going to be pulse width modulated?
Hasn't byrdman11 done it?
Old 03-13-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

From the way he said that he did it, it's sounds like he by passed that. I just don't understand how that will work though without that?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

He probably has an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator with return fuel supply line.

Quick Reply: Walbro 450 Install (in progress)