NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Post up your stand alone fuel systems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
DA will definitely effect the tune. Lower the DA, you'll probably want to lower timing.

In the summer months here where its really hot and really humid the DA might be above 3,000. You may be able to add a little timing and may have to take out a little fuel
Right I understand that, I've just never ran an SD tune. I guess I'm asking if your starting at higher fuel pressure everytime your at the track and reading plugs on the first several passes. I'm on a MAF tune and until this year pulled fuel off the rail. I've never run a fuel jet lean enough to keep a plug that clean as your showing on the far right. Are you ever comparing what your reading on the plugs with a wide band? I'm interested how lean the AFR on that far left one is?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

One of my best friends tunes alot of high horsepower nitrous cars. I've learned alot from him and applied it to our smaller nitrous stuff here. I also attended a nitrous class put on Monte Smith where I learned a lot as well. After I tried some of the stuff I learned, I've got an idea where I want to start with jetting, fuel pressure, and timing and can get pretty close within a couple pulls. Granted, I've only ever tuned one kit, never multiple. The most I've tuned is what people would call a "300 shot". I'm still learning myself.

As far as that plug on the right, it was around 12.5:1 a/f according to the wideband on the dyno.

If you get a chance and can find one in your area or even within a few hours drive time, attend a Monte Smith nitrous class. It's not cheap, but well worth the price if you're interested in learning how to tune nitrous setups.

Also search yellowbullet for nitrous to fuel ratio. If you don't know what a plate or nozzle flows or at least an approximate of what it will flow, any jetting or fuel pressure you come up with is just an educated guess, at best. I do lots of educated guessing myself lol
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Get your motor tune where you want it, a/f and timing. Then don't mess with the VE table again. You'll fine tune the a/f with fuel jets or fuel pressure on the nitrous. Pull whatever amount of timing you need to from your timing table. Or with your truck, you could do a COS5 and have a switch wired to the ecm that you could use to pull timing for nitrous. That's what we do with dtr81's truck. Works great
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM
11 Second Truck Club

That's good info, thanks alot! I'm gonna check into that class. I'm up a little north of Wichita but come down to OKC to ride scoots at Draper behind Tinker alot. I may have to come down to the track there and meet you guys. I like your style... Amarillo is quite a haul, do you guys drive them there?

Last edited by MPFD; 02-15-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
Get your motor tune where you want it, a/f and timing. Then don't mess with the VE table again. You'll fine tune the a/f with fuel jets or fuel pressure on the nitrous. Pull whatever amount of timing you need to from your timing table. Or with your truck, you could do a COS5 and have a switch wired to the ecm that you could use to pull timing for nitrous. That's what we do with dtr81's truck. Works great
^^^This!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump for more set ups.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this old but it good info for anyone looking to build a standalone