Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread

Hola bitches,

I just got word that my ATK hp93 crate motor is on it's way and I want to make sure I have what I need to get this beast locked and loaded. ATK says it's shipping with all the gaskets needed, but I need to supply manifold, valve covers, timiing cover and oil pan..and I'm guessing pickup tube and oil pump based on the pic from their website. So far I have:

Melling oil pump with o rings,
knock sensors and new harness,
8.1L injectors,
valley cover lift plate,
arp header bolts (there were a few broken ones when i put the headers in)

Is there anything I might be missing? I know I will need coolant, break in oil....still pondering joe gibbs br30 or some straight 30 weight with redline additive....a bunch of wix filters. Any other thoughts are welcome. Nelson tune is forthcoming as soon as I get the cam specs from Atk. Thanks for looking and cheers!

[
Attached Thumbnails Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread-photo-37-.jpg  

Last edited by Flyin 1500; 06-25-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I called them they said it came with an oil pump. You will need to use your pickup tube from your motor.
Make sure you use the proper o ring. Also make sure you prime motor before starting it. Make sure you put new
water pump gaskets and get some RTV for the corners of the oil pan gasket block side.
I would also change the timing cover damper gasket.

Let me know how you like that motor because I will be doing this in the fall.

Last edited by gagliano7; 06-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

I have a new o-ring for the pickup tube. As far as priming the engine, my plan is to fill the oil filter with oil, pull the spark plugs and turn it over until I see pressure. I'm also going to use either Joe Gibbs BR30, or a good non-detergent oil with red line additive. I'm still on the fence on that one. I will definitely be changing out all of the gaskets that I can. ATK said it came with what I need, but I have extra just in case. I'll try and put as many pics up as I can. Engine will be here tomorrow, unfortunately I won't be able to start work on it until saturday. Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Holy Pic size Battman...

That is not the proper way to pre lube an engine.

Does it work yes, usually, but it can also do damage as well. Most engine places will not warranty an engine if you tell them you fired the engine this way. The OEM Manufactures certainly will not as they require the use of pre lube equipment to be used by the dealer.

If you absolutely don't have the right tools, can't afford them, or possibly don't want to spend the money on them, At the very minimum, I would pour oil into the oil gallery through the oil pressure sensor hole.

This will minimize the amount of time it takes to fully prime the engine on first start up.

Even the assembly lube will wear off as the engine turns over. Dry starts on a fresh motor can cause lifters not to pump up, Damage to bearings and journals, damage to cylinder walls and rings, and so on.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Fastbrick, as soon as I posted that I started researching pre-lubers. I'm definitely going to pre-lube before firing now. I found a video of a guy who did a diy one. That's the direction I think I will go. Here's his video

LSx Motor Oil Primer, Home Made - Pre Lube Prevent Motor Dry Start "How To" - LS1 - YouTube
Old 06-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Yup! He is a member on here AGearHead4Life

He posted it up on the LS1tech side of the website External Oil Primer Home Made - A Pre Lube Option to prevent dry start - LS1TECH
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default Look what showed up today!

Attached Thumbnails Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread-engine2.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Looks like a pile of scrap wood... Let swing by and pick it up so you dont have to look at it when you get back
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Looks like a pile of scrap wood... Let swing by and pick it up so you dont have to look at it when you get back
Dude, feel free to swing over and unpack it for me. Help your self to the beer in the kegerator too!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Flyin 1500

Dude, feel free to swing over and unpack it for me. Help your self to the beer in the kegerator too!
Then there won't be anything left for you to play with...

Quick Reply: Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread