Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you run this motor if it was yours?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you determine how deep it is?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I contacted the company who I got it from this is the email I got.

>>>>>>our warranty guy he said the best thing for us to do is just do a replacement on it. When would you be able to get back over this way for us to do a swap on it?<<<<

Which is cool however it was 120 miles away... What should I do? Ask for money off? I've already rebuilt the one head-
Old 10-21-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask them to replace the short block if you want the heads... Three hours cleaning isn't enough attachment to have to rebuild a motor you shouldn't have had to.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
Ask them to replace the short block if you want the heads... Three hours cleaning isn't enough attachment to have to rebuild a motor you shouldn't have had to.
I called him yesterday and they said there getting another complete motor / not complete pull out. It should be there in a few days- he said for me to keep all the stuff that came on it he just needs the block, oil pan, heads, intake- I'm waiting to hear back-

My buddy who is building his lq4 at the same time and hasn't got as far as me said I can take his heads for cores on the motor seeing he hasn't touched them.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you got ahold of a nice reputable shop there. Can you PM me the name and location of where you bought the motor?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:42 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Pm sent bud
Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Well I figured Id update this old thread! We made it through the winter and spring without any problems. my wife drives it basically daily now I cant get her out of it. It doesn't burn as much oil now these days and it seems like the oil is staying cleaner every oil change. She has put on about 8000 miles now- still good oil pressure too

I picked up the exchanged motor With 83k (04 Lq9) This thing is MINT and super clean like it was a southern state motor all the black on the block is not rusting
Old 06-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

So what did you end up doing on the original engine? Flushing it and it was good to go? Does it still smoke?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:31 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
So what did you end up doing on the original engine? Flushing it and it was good to go? Does it still smoke?
Just changed the oil at 3k and checked it at about 1500 mile marker added oil if it needed it. it smokes on a restart if we drive on the eway for over an hour and stop to restart -it blows a small puff of blue smoke - buts its really random.

so in other words nothing but changed the oil - thought for sure it was going to just die in the coldest of the winter
Old 06-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
Just changed the oil at 3k and checked it at about 1500 mile marker added oil if it needed it. it smokes on a restart if we drive on the eway for over an hour and stop to restart -it blows a small puff of blue smoke - buts its really random.

so in other words nothing but changed the oil - thought for sure it was going to just die in the coldest of the winter
Try "Valvoline Maxlife" oil for high milage vehicles. Should cure the smoke issue. It's a synthetic blend

Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > High Mileage Motor Oil MaxLife > MaxLife® High Mileage Motor Oil

I have put this in several vehicles now and it has severely improved if not stopped the whitish blue smoking/oil consumption issues. I have turned several business and my local parts store on to this.

My first LS truck is a 2000 silverado that I bought with 45k on it and it was really bad at consuming oil and smoking by 80K miles. I thought the motor was done for. I started using this and now it does not consume any oil and I have not seen it smoke unless I tried to switch to other brands of oil. It has nearly 166K on it now. Other than Piston slap on start up, the occasional sticky lifter, and the fact that I know the oil rings are probably stuck. She still runs like a champ.

Quick Reply: Would you run this motor if it was yours?