Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What would you do?? Got a Bad engine from a reputable shop..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?? Got a Bad engine from a reputable shop..

Hey guys, this is the story, After doing a lot of research in the forum, spending a lot of hours, I picked a Shop to build my "Boost 370", well, ordered and after I got it, i drove 6 hours to pick it up, came back home with my new engine, took my truck to the best local shop to get it installed and the guy told me how dirty the oil veins were and he was having a hard time putting the lifters in because of oil and rust buildup.. He asked me if I wanted him to get it cleaned and detailed and I agreed, he told me he had to take it appart because the rust that stayed in the engine.. Well after we pulled the first piston out, the RING GAP where around .012!!! I freaked out because it was supposed to be set at .024-.025 because I am looking fw to put around 15-18psi..
Called the builder and he asked me to send it back, it costed me another 6 hours of driving and getting it across the border again and pay the customs 16% of the engine value..
I asked for some refund from him and that was a no no..
After they checked it this is what they said:
I honestly do not know why the rings were so tight, I am guessing that they just looked at the build sheet wrong when it came time to put it together and thought it was an all motor build. They checked the main cap as well and it is OK, The color you see is from the line hone and is not a problem.
He did pay for shipping and handling, but it costed me $1,000 over of what I paid for the engine..
The shop is a sponsor of this site, dont want to trow out names, I want to hear your opinions first.. Whats fair and whats not..
And my point is, imagine if my home town mechanic didnt take the time and detail to inspect it and get it cleaned.. @ .012 ring gap it was to damn tight even for a naturally aspirated..

Any thoughts guys??
Thank you all!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man that sux. Thats a big loss end could have been even worse. If they r not willing to help u with more of the $ lost I would talk to an attorney. Maybe with a letter of entent u could get something done. If not. Spread the word every chance u get. Again sorry to here about what happened. I have my own business also and sometimes I have to loose to make things right. And most of the time it pays off
Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

a prime example of why i just stick with 100% uncracked OEM bottom ends. i did my round with a reputable shop. junkyard 6.0 engines for me for now on.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
a prime example of why i just stick with 100% uncracked OEM bottom ends. i did my round with a reputable shop. junkyard 6.0 engines for me for now on.
^^^^this
Old 08-25-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would drive to you and get it if my shop screw up that bad.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Attorneys won't get you anywhere since you had another shop's hands in the engine. You're actually lucky that the original shop is covering this stuff when you had the installing shop open up the motor. That's a big no-no IMO.

Customs aren't the building shop's problem either IMO, you are the one who decided to cross the border to shop there. That's like me requesting gas money reimbursement if I ever have a warranty claim for a shop that built something for me in another state. Part of the game unfortunately, I think the best you can hope for is to have them fix the mistake. The rest is on you.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thunder. Your rite. It didnt click with me about another shop opening the engine up. I wont warrant anything anoter shop has messed with. If I can prove that they did. Custom or not if I do something I have to cover it.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

I told them we were going to open it to wash the rust it had, they agreed, thats when we found out the ring gap issue..
IMO if they sell "custom" they should do it right.. Like someone else said, lucky I opened.. Imagine if I installed the engine, tow it all the way to Phx Az (300 miles from me) to get the turbo installed and tuned.. Probably 1psi later there was going to be a boom going on..
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
+2 just not worth it.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats really good to know about gettin a junk yard engin. Im thinkin about a 6.0 or 6.2 swap

Quick Reply: What would you do?? Got a Bad engine from a reputable shop..