Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Ls2 lq4

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Ls2 lq4

Hey guys, can anyone tell me how much power can a ls2 lq4 and a 4l80e transmission hold before breaking and what can I do to help it from doing so? As in the smartest route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

There is a difference between a LQ4 6.0 and a LS2 6.0, both can handle different power levels.

And early 6.0 from what I gather, so like anything before 2004-2005 can handle 500-600ish horsepower. They came out with a stronger bottom end that can handle 700-800+.

The LS2 should be in the stronger bottem end catagory I think, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

A stock 4L80e with like a decent shift kit and good tune should handle 600-700+ whp without a problem.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I understand...........

pre 2004 and some 2005 lq4 had weaker connecting rods
some 2005 lq4 along with all lq9 and ls2 had stronger connecting rods

If you have the stronger rods then your good to ~750ish whp
If you want to go higher than that you will want to look at forged crank/rods/pistons
Cast iron lq4 and lq9 block is good probably a little bit higher than the aluminum ls2 block (I think Foose04 found this out which is why he went with an iron block 347)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM

Oh okay, so just get a better rotating assembly and I should be good?... I'm wanting to go boost and heard turbo(s) arent as bad on your motor
Old 05-24-2016, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

It depends on how much power you want to run and what motor you can get.

Either power adder can cause engine damage if not done right, running a turbo doesn't make it any safer than running a blower. Sure one can make more power but if done wrong you will blow it up regardless.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP
It depends on how much power you want to run and what motor you can get.

Either power adder can cause engine damage if not done right, running a turbo doesn't make it any safer than running a blower. Sure one can make more power but if done wrong you will blow it up regardless.
I'll just get a blueprinted motor and a transmission from monsters transmission that'll hold the amount of power I'm looking to get
Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sure do whatever you want, it is your money.

But we did try to help here and you don't wish to say what your power goal is.

A monster transmission is not something I'd ever run. Look at different vendor for sure. And like we said before a stock bottom end on the right year engine will take 700-800 whp and at that point it would be useless on street tires.

I hope your budget is well into the 15-20k range if you want a blue printed motor and the best transmission out there. I know most sub 20 year olds are just swimming in cash.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 AM

Sure do whatever you want, it is your money.

But we did try to help here and you don't wish to say what your power goal is.

A monster transmission is not something I'd ever run. Look at different vendor for sure. And like we said before a stock bottom end on the right year engine will take 700-800 whp and at that point it would be useless on street tires.

I hope your budget is well into the 15-20k range if you want a blue printed motor and the best transmission out there. I know most sub 20 year olds are just swimming in cash.
I'm sorry if I was rude didn't mean to sound rude at all, I apologize. I was just thinking if I get an iron block and have it ported and have the rotating assembly balanced and everything, I don't want to risk some machine shop ruining my build so looks like a blueprinted motor is my best bet..
Old 05-25-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe I'm quick on the trigger sometimes, so it partly my fault.

Was just trying to get the point across that if you just want to be the 500-700whp area that you don't have to shell out the extra money for a built motor. People have taken stock 6.0 blocks so far nowadays with minimal mods and a turbo kit. Unless you plan to make 900-1000whp on a daily basis, I would save your money and spend it elsewhere. You are just adding so much extra money into the situation if you plan to above the 900whp mark, the fuel system costs will sky rocket, getting a built rear end to hold that kind of power and buying a $4,000-5,000 tranmission/converter combo to hold that power.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM

Maybe I'm quick on the trigger sometimes, so it partly my fault.

Was just trying to get the point across that if you just want to be the 500-700whp area that you don't have to shell out the extra money for a built motor. People have taken stock 6.0 blocks so far nowadays with minimal mods and a turbo kit. Unless you plan to make 900-1000whp on a daily basis, I would save your money and spend it elsewhere. You are just adding so much extra money into the situation if you plan to above the 900whp mark, the fuel system costs will sky rocket, getting a built rear end to hold that kind of power and buying a $4,000-5,000 tranmission/converter combo to hold that power.
That's exactly what I'm going for around 900-1000 I've always wanted a truck that would just murder vettes and new model trucks... And it would be so much fun trolling with all these 17-18 year olds that drive 2016-2017 model trucks lifted haha

Quick Reply: Question on Ls2 lq4