Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 issues... NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 issues... NEED HELP

I just finished assembling an LY6 today with VVT delete.

Here is what I have done:

polished crank
new main and rod bearings
new cam bearings
New front timing cover
new front cam sensor
new 4x timing set with new tensioner
oil pump was re-installed
NEW o-ring on pickup tube
pickup tube was cleaned
GM Musclecar pan with pickup tube and windage tray
top plate was swapped out to ICT aluminum plate with O-rings
(no blockoffs installed in the block above lifters).

What engine is doing:

I still have it on a stand, and am trying to crank it over to pre-oil it to the top end so I know if there is a problem before installing it. When it cranks over, it is not oiling all the way up top. BUT, it is pumping oil. When I remove the front timing cover, on the right side of the block (oil galley bore) it is pumping oil back up to the front. The timing chain is not getting oiled, and none of the rockers are running oil down. The cam retainer plate IS on, and I can only assume the plug at the back of the block is still in because I have not pulled the rear plate to check.

I have a video I am working on uploading to youtube that I can link here to show what I THINK the issue might be. I do have a mechanical pressure gauge installed right above the oil filter on the pan, and it does not move at all when I am cranking it over. I even tried using the jumper cables on Mom's running Silverado to spin it faster, but it still did not get up top.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate any suggestions short of tearing the whole engine back apart again. Which is likely what will happen anyways.

VIDEO LINK:

Last edited by BigEd_72455; 03-19-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Pressure relief valve in the oil pan stuck open maybe?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Pressure relief valve in the oil pan stuck open maybe?
oil PAN?? I think you mean oil PUMP?

Havent checked it yet. I was getting aggrivated so i left it alone for the night. I do have another pump that I plan to swap on tomorrow. But its gonna take a while between draining oil, pulling pan, removing pickup tube and then oil pump.

If swapping the pump fixes it, i will be a VERY happy camper unless i tear the o ring getting the tube out and back in the other pump..
Old 03-19-2017, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, i mean the pan, on the gen iv engines there is an oil pressure relief valve in the oilpan by the filter adaptor/cooler lines when you pull the pan it looks like **** with a hex head on it. There maybe a shroud on it if the engine had been torn into for oil consumption and depending on the year the shroud may have been installed at the factory, but if youve elimintaed vvt and/or dod you dont need it, and can plug it! I do believe theres a thread on here about it somehwere!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not the case here. I have the GM muscle car swap pan. Not the stock pan. If you watch the video, you can see the pan and oil pressure gauge port in the video.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Watched the video, looked like a truck pan with the angle it was at. The hole in the front of the block should be open. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-valve-523970/ Theres an oil circuit diagram in this thread that may help
Old 03-19-2017, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Watched the video, looked like a truck pan with the angle it was at. The hole in the front of the block should be open. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-valve-523970/ Theres an oil circuit diagram in this thread that may help

thanks man. I know that ls engines are rod/ main primary oiling, then up to cam, and lifters up thru pushrods to rockers...
Old 03-19-2017, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is the filter full? I know youre spinning the engine off some jumper cables, but its quiet for not having oil getting to the lifters and pushrods, wondering if it just hasnt made its way up that far yet! Just trying to help, and throw some ideas out there. Usually after i build an engine or even just put a reman in i will disconnect the fuel pump fuse and crank it for a good 2-3 minutes just to make sure oil is getting everywhere it needs to.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I may need to do that, but i will wait til after i change the pump over to what i know is a good pump.

and i guess i need to go hook the charger to my second battery.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, second battery is on the charger. Wish i had 2 big rig batteries. Its cold outside when you run to and from the shop in your underwear!!

I know you are trying to help. And believe me, i appreciate every suggestion you have. I am just frustrated with what all had gone on in just one day.

yes, i believe the filter is full. Because the oil is running back up the main oiling passageway to the front of the block. I even stuck my thumb over the hole in front and that made no difference besides how much oil spilled on the shop floor when i removed my thumb.

i am wondering if i could crank it over for 5-10 seconds at 24 volts instead of 12 and maybe that would help push it up. Faster turning pump.

and the reason its quiet is because it is turning so slowly. I have never had it started and everything is fresh.