Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock TBI to MPFI Conversion, anyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Savage Sierra
Thanks,

My truck makes decent power for a TBI set up it runs the 1/4 in 14.60 @ 93 mph. My problem is for a 383 cid with some good parts I thought/expected it to be much quicker. I assumed a 14.0 or better. Thats why I think that its the TBI thats holding it back.

The engine builder ran it on his engine dyno with a small 600 cfm carb and no mufflers or accessories and it made 337 hp and 466 lb/ft. Thats with stock heads and a very mild camshaft 210/216, .440/.454 & 114 LSA.

So in My opinion the TBI is choking it!
Yea...340hp in an reg. cab and ext. cab truck is two different things.

Well...its not the TBI but the race condition the engine was dynoed in... no mufflers(that's really not streetable..tickets for one but also that gets annoying) and two no accessories....accessories take off about 40hp from what I've seen on the GEN I's. Your looking at a honest 300hp engine at the flywheel in street trim. TBI systems have been proven to proved up to about 350-375 NA HP unless you have hte 454ss throttle body or Holley 2" which you do. Then the airflow on those is like 670cfm on the Holley and 700 on the 454. 670 cfm is more than enough airflow for your engine. Your main problem is yours heads....that simple...just slapping on a set of vortec heads would gain you about 30hp at the flywheel with the accessories on. If your not happy, look at your head choice. Then bump the cam up to the 214/220 from Crower and convert your engine to hyd. roller.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YenkoST
Yea...340hp in an reg. cab and ext. cab truck is two different things.

Well...its not the TBI but the race condition the engine was dynoed in... no mufflers(that's really not streetable..tickets for one but also that gets annoying) and two no accessories....accessories take off about 40hp from what I've seen on the GEN I's. Your looking at a honest 300hp engine at the flywheel in street trim. TBI systems have been proven to proved up to about 350-375 NA HP unless you have hte 454ss throttle body or Holley 2" which you do. Then the airflow on those is like 670cfm on the Holley and 700 on the 454. 670 cfm is more than enough airflow for your engine. Your main problem is yours heads....that simple...just slapping on a set of vortec heads would gain you about 30hp at the flywheel with the accessories on. If your not happy, look at your head choice. Then bump the cam up to the 214/220 from Crower and convert your engine to hyd. roller.
Vortec heads are out of the question because you have to buy a Vortec intake. So what other after market heads do you like? There are only 3-5 different ones made that will accept late model center bolt stuff.

Dart Iron Eagle 185 cc
World Product SR Torquer 180 cc
Edlebrock Aluminum Center Bolt Performer ? cc

Can you think of any other that will work with the canted intake manifold?

If I change heads and go with that Crowler Roller that would bump me up past 350-375 hp and then the TBI would be questionable again!

Last edited by Savage Sierra; 12-12-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vortec heads are out of the question because you have to buy a Vortec intake. So what other after market heads do you like? There are only 3-5 different ones made that will accept late model center bolt stuff.

Dart Iron Eagle 185 cc
World Product SR Torquer 180 cc
Edlebrock Aluminum Center Bolt Performer ? cc

Can you think of any other that will work with the canted intake manifold?

If I change heads and go with that Crowler Roller that would bump me up past 350-375 hp and then the TBI would be questionable again!
3 or 5....you need to research some more....you got AFR, Brodix, GM Double hump, RHS, Patriot, etc.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well...hyd. roller cam will give you about 20-25hp and heads will give you 30-40......that's a total of 365hp...and unless you plan on supercharger...it doesn't. Nitrous supplies its on air so...you are fine with TBI. Then with supercharger...get rid of the Holley...step up to a ported 454ss that flows 830cfm and bam...400+hp is easily achieved.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Sweet! I asked time and time again on some of the other sites, how much hp can you make with the TBI, your the first to give a straight answer.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea...if the 454ss guys and feed the 454 BBC to 400hp then you can feed a 383 SBC to 400hp plus...not that big of a deal...just need fuel to support it...that's 90 lb/hr injectors set up to 20 psi roughly.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

3 or 5....you need to research some more....you got AFR, Brodix, GM Double hump, RHS, Patriot, etc.

I know you can modify a Center Bolt style intake to fit the old Gen 1 heads but that involves drilling out the 4 center intake mounting bolts holes and making a tapered washer/shim and then hope it don't leak oil or vacuum! I've went to AFR and they do not make anything specific for 87-95 nor does Patriot. Believe me I've looked and called and sent emails etc.

I have 3 pair of old style double hump heads w/ 2.02 and 1.6 valves but they have 72 cc chambers which would drop my CR, plus they suck on fuel injected engines. So says several engine builders.

L31 Vortec's work with a new intake and a lot of bracket fabricating, L98's off old Vetts and Camaros will work but don't flow all that great without port work. LT1 heads wont work because they are reverse coolant flow.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

AFR doesn't...then how the heck do I have AFR heads on a 88-92 TPI intake.....hmmm.

Centerbolt style refers to the valve covers....4 center bolts or perimeter which is 4 bolts around the perimeter of the valve cover.....AFR features both.

People usually refer to those intakes as 87+.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

AFR doesn't...then how the heck do I have AFR heads on a 88-92 TPI intake.....hmmm.

Centerbolt style refers to the valve covers....4 center bolts or perimeter which is 4 bolts around the perimeter of the valve cover.....AFR features both.

People usually refer to those intakes as 87+.

I know that, but most people around my area refer to the 87-95 engines as centerbolt engines because that is the most recognizable attribute at a glance. The four bolts I'm talking about are the four mounting holes in the center of the intake manifold 2 per side. from 87-95 and later Vortec engines these mounting holes in the intake and heads are canted (at a different angle) then the rest of the mounting holes. Old style heads all the mounting bolts/holes where at the same angle. Also Edelbrock list their 87-up heads as Center Bolt Heads. Its just different terminology in different parts of the country thats all.

Can you throw me a AFR part number so I can do a search on their website? SCRATCH THIS! I found them:

AFR 180 cc SBC Eliminator Street Heads 0910 or 1041 for centerbolt valve covers. Small Port, High Velocity, Torque Monsters are how they describe them ..... Sound bad-**** for sure!

Last edited by Savage Sierra; 12-14-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Web Police, can you change that thread tiltle from TPI to MPFI for me please?

-Robert (aka) Savage Sierra
UPDATED

Quick Reply: Edelbrock TBI to MPFI Conversion, anyone have this?