Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Edelbrock TBI to MPFI Conversion, anyone have this?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edelbrock TBI to MPFI Conversion, anyone have this?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It uses your Throttle Body without the injectors and also uses your ECM with a reprogrammed Chip. I'm thinking about installing this on my 383 along with a better set of cylinder heads. What bothers me is the injectors on this MPI are only 19 lb/hr and that seems low to me.

If you have this set up, please let me know all the info you have and if its worth the price tag.

Last edited by Savage Sierra; 12-18-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not TPI Savage...that a MPFI system that uses a piggyback computer to control the ecm.

Oh...and its not worth the price tag..you will have to modify it too much to get it to where it will proper tuned and fueled for your 383.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

I did type in TPI didn't I? I meant MPI. So Yenko, you don't think with bigger injectors and a set of Dart Iron Eagle 185 heads that this would be better than my 2-injector TBI?

I'm really disappointed in the power output of my 383 w/TBI. I know there is 450 hp and 500 lb-ft in my 383 with better heads, bigger cam and some type of Multi-point injection.

Holley has a 900 cfm 4bbl TBI that would bolt right up but its designed for non ECM controlled vehicles and comes with its own ECM/PCM whatever they call it. What do you think of that system?

I love your HSR set up, looks awesome and if those numbers from the other site are close then that is one Bad **** MF'er. But you said your self that you lost some bottom end with it. I'm old and Old School, I want to bring the front tires off the ground at launch. So its all about Off idle Trq. for me.

Around town where I live everyone wants to pull up and run from stop light to stop light, no more than 330 ft so I need all that power to be there right now. We have some of the fastest 0-70 cars and trucks I've ever seen, here in my hood. LOL
Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Hey Web Police, can you change that thread tiltle from TPI to MPFI for me please?

-Robert (aka) Savage Sierra
Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Savage Sierra
I did type in TPI didn't I? I meant MPI. So Yenko, you don't think with bigger injectors and a set of Dart Iron Eagle 185 heads that this would be better than my 2-injector TBI?

I'm really disappointed in the power output of my 383 w/TBI. I know there is 450 hp and 500 lb-ft in my 383 with better heads, bigger cam and some type of Multi-point injection.

Holley has a 900 cfm 4bbl TBI that would bolt right up but its designed for non ECM controlled vehicles and comes with its own ECM/PCM whatever they call it. What do you think of that system?

I love your HSR set up, looks awesome and if those numbers from the other site are close then that is one Bad **** MF'er. But you said your self that you lost some bottom end with it. I'm old and Old School, I want to bring the front tires off the ground at launch. So its all about Off idle Trq. for me.

Around town where I live everyone wants to pull up and run from stop light to stop light, no more than 330 ft so I need all that power to be there right now. We have some of the fastest 0-70 cars and trucks I've ever seen, here in my hood. LOL
Those numbers on my engine are pretty close if I didn't have the water pump, etc. With the accessories..its about 40 less than that so...I almost have an honest 500.

I lost low end torque but torque converter makes up for that.

In a ECSB truck, to bring the tires off the ground, you need some serious torque. You would be better off to get some 180cc AFR heads or Vortec heads ported and polished then add a Edelbrock Pro Flo to it....its a dual plan manifold MPFI system...that's what I was deciding between ws the Pro Flo and HSR but I went HSR.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your cam is too small for better heads and induction. I ran that same cam in my 92 silverado 350 with about 10:1 compression and full bolt-ons. Pulled good to 5500 but the stock swirl port heads suck.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, its a little on the small side for sure...I would upgrade to a 214/220 Crower with .507/.531 lift
Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

I had a 383 in a 93 Z71 and the computer and TB and everything was a waste, big pain in the ****. I ordered a carb intake and a 750 4bbl and that thing was like night and day. All I did was just cut the injector plugs off and pull the service engine light bulb out. I hate any and all TBI.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

I've heard users from other sites say the edelbrock TBI conversion takes a custom chip burn to work right. Not to big of a deal, but for the money the supplied chip should at least work with a stock engine. I would just save for a Pro flo or similar hi performance MPFI kit. I am trying to decide the same thing on my 90 454. TBI, Carb, or MPFI...
Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I think your cam is too small for better heads and induction. I ran that same cam in my 92 silverado 350 with about 10:1 compression and full bolt-ons. Pulled good to 5500 but the stock swirl port heads suck.
I'm using that cam because its matched to what I have now, stock 193 heads and a TBI. If I go with a MPFI, then a bigger cam will be going in for sure. The cam I have now was recomended by the engine builder and Crane Cams Tech guy. It is good for low end power up to 4800 rpm which is where I shift anyways.

If I go MPFI, I'll be making a lot more changes at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edelbrock TBI to MPFI Conversion, anyone have this?