Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any extra hardware needed for speed engineering LT'S

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If the bolts are 26mm long, they will work just fine.

The foil gasket, was me. Some of the slip joins i have seen on these headers can be very loose and even a 3" band clamp cannot seal it.
Heavy duty foil just happens to work fantastic as a gasket.

Yes dei titanium is a better, new tech wrap. If you can get it cheap. By all means use it.
I dont even use the sealant paint on the wrap. Theres no need. I used it a couple times and found no gains in longevity of the wrap. It does however give it a nice hard finish. Which will help hold the wrap in place if your wrap is loose.

One tip that alot of people dont know.
Fold the ends of the wrap into a point. Two 45* folds.
Place ot aprox three wraps down from where you want to start. Wrap up to the start of the pipe and then back down over the pointy end of the wrap.
This secures the end as good as a clamp. Just besure to pull ot tight as you possibly can.
Wrap strecthes out over time. So wrap it crushing tight.

Last edited by ezdaar; 10-15-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Thought about painting my wrap more for aesthetics that anything else!!!! What is the downfall to not wrapping headers??
Old 10-15-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lots of heat. the tubing is thin and doesn't keep heat in.
lots of valve noise.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezdaar
If the bolts are 26mm long, they will work just fine.

The foil gasket, was me. Some of the slip joins i have seen on these headers can be very loose and even a 3" band clamp cannot seal it.
Heavy duty foil just happens to work fantastic as a gasket.

Yes dei titanium is a better, new tech wrap. If you can get it cheap. By all means use it.
I dont even use the sealant paint on the wrap. Theres no need. I used it a couple times and found no gains in longevity of the wrap. It does however give it a nice hard finish. Which will help hold the wrap in place if your wrap is loose.

One tip that alot of people dont know.
Fold the ends of the wrap into a point. Two 45* folds.
Place ot aprox three wraps down from where you want to start. Wrap up to the start of the pipe and then back down over the pointy end of the wrap.
This secures the end as good as a clamp. Just besure to pull ot tight as you possibly can.
Wrap strecthes out over time. So wrap it crushing tight.
Could you show us with pictures? I'm currently looking for some good clamps for the wrap on amazon but I'd rather use no clamps if the wrap can hold itself
Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will try and remember to take a pic of what I mean this eve.

If its your first time wrapping headers, you need clamps.
I just get lucky.
Standard issue stainless hose clamps work fantastic and they are relatively cheap.

Your going to need a friend to help you. Once you start wrapping, put a clamp on the primary at the top and another one loosely. As you make a few wraps, slide the second clamp down and tighten it. let it follow your wraps.
This will save you ALOT of bitching if your hand slips and the wrap loosens all the way back to the start.
That's what the friend is for. to loosen, slide and then tighten the clamp.
by the time your done with one header. you hands are going to be screaming at you if you wrapped it as tight as I do.
Literally try to crush the pipe with the wrap.
Nothing worse than wrapping a header, installing it and a month later its all loose and sagging around the collector.

Be ready for the smoke show! they will smoke their *** off for a couple hours.

If you end up coating them, get a commercial grade hot air gun and a infared temp gun. use it to heat and paint one primary at a time. the coating goes on Alot better on a warm pipe.

I hate wrapping headers. Its pain in the ***, but the benefits out weigh my hate, so I do it.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at these headers. Will they bolt up to the existing Y-pipe or do I need to order the set with the Y-pipe? I can save over $100 if they will bolt to factory set up.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thundurchasur
I've been looking at these headers. Will they bolt up to the existing Y-pipe or do I need to order the set with the Y-pipe? I can save over $100 if they will bolt to factory set up.
youll need the y pipe it comes with or another aftermarket y pipe
Old 10-15-2015, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Youll probably end up spending about what youd pay for the y-pipe getting an exhaust shop to mate youre existing y pipe to the headers... If theyll even do it, considering legalities of removing cats!! Hell, around here ive been quoted $450-500 just for tailpipes.... And i do mean just from the mufflers, over the axle and out the sides.... Dont even have to wirry about goin around a spare tire!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Youll probably end up spending about what youd pay for the y-pipe getting an exhaust shop to mate youre existing y pipe to the headers... If theyll even do it, considering legalities of removing cats!! Hell, around here ive been quoted $450-500 just for tailpipes.... And i do mean just from the mufflers, over the axle and out the sides.... Dont even have to wirry about goin around a spare tire!!!
That seems to be the going rate. I was quoted $500 for parts and labor on a cat-back system with Flowmaster mufflers to convert my '05 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3L from single exhaust to dual exhaust. They recommended waiting on headers until after I do my cam in the spring.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do the headers in preparation.....

Quick Reply: Any extra hardware needed for speed engineering LT'S