Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Works headers Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stainless Works headers Install

I just ordered some Stainless Works headers with the cat-less performance connection(X-pipe) for my NNBS RCSB. I just put in the order almost 10 minutes ago(depressed about spending the money already haha). I'am SUPER STOKED but just a little nervous about attempting the install. The instructions on the stainless works website made it seem pretty simple though, i am just worried about breaking a head bolt off in the head. I will try and post pictures an updates in this thread if anyone is interested.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PB Blaster or Wd40 the bolts a day or two prior the install
Old 05-03-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will for sure. It only has 4500 miles on it but it has seen a winter and a half, so i hope i don't run into any issues.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, i think your header bolts will be pretty easy with that low of miles. I did headers on my truck with about 225,000 kms on it and only one bolt broke. I also live in northern British Columbia so it is winter driven for about half the year.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a little update if you happen to give a ****. Plans have changed....kind of. My headers from Stainless Works we're taking to long. I placed my order on the May 5th and i was told i would not get them till June 4th. The website i ordered them through recommended i cancel my order and too just get some American racing headers, so i did. They will be 1 3/4 with a catless 3" y-pipe. Now i just need to decide what i want to do with my cat-back. Currently i am running a singe in dual out mbrp cat-back with rear exit tips. I don't mind keeping this exhaust, but i kind of wanted the exhaust after the y-pipe to be a solid three inches all the way back. I' am not sure if its 3" or not. We will see.
I also might just do away with this cat-back and run a solid 3" mid-pipe to a single in single out muffler and either dump the tip before the rear axle or have it exit before the rear tire.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed 2 years ago some stainless steel headers on my 04 escalade ESV, LQ9 engine, these are Gibson Stainless Headers #GP500-S...

For sure I gained some torque and HP, but at idle you can hear a metal resonance inside the vehicule. Just surprising at the beginning..

Not sure I would go again for SS headers unless there is another explanation for this resonance.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by XLV750LAURENT
I installed 2 years ago some stainless steel headers on my 04 escalade ESV, LQ9 engine, these are Gibson Stainless Headers #GP500-S...

For sure I gained some torque and HP, but at idle you can hear a metal resonance inside the vehicule. Just surprising at the beginning..

Not sure I would go again for SS headers unless there is another explanation for this resonance.
That's normal with headers, a side effect you could say. Compare the thickness of the cast iron stock manifolds with the relatively thin wall of the headers.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
That's normal with headers, a side effect you could say. Compare the thickness of the cast iron stock manifolds with the relatively thin wall of the headers.
I was thinking the same thing. Also, i would never go with shorties either. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone know if I have to completely remove my dipstick, or can I just unbolt it from the head and slide the old manifolds off and slide the new headers over it?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

i believe you have to remove the dipstick so you can maneuver the header around. but mine came out very easily

Quick Reply: Stainless Works headers Install