Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Think i'm going to go 4l80 and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Think i'm going to go 4l80 and have questions

I have a 08 Silverado short bed, reg cab work truck with a 5.3. I am currently in the process of adding a turbo, cam,etc

Anyways, my 4l60 took a crap and I have read for months and I think the 4l80 swap is my best option rather than overspend on a 60 that will break.

I cant seem to find a thread anywhere that lists the parts,etc needed to do this but I know many people have completed this swap.

What I believe is needed:

(1) 4l80 transmission .....any year from my understanding?
(2) crossmember ....... going to buy it from a forum member
(3) wiring harness......I looked at Speartech for this
(4) yoke.....this part I am unsure of

Does that seem to cover it all? I have read where some swaps require a new drive shaft while others do not. But other than that do I have it covered? Or am I missing something? I do know I'll need to have a tune but I have to due to the turbo being added anyways.

Anyone have regrets going from a 60 to an 80? As always thanks for your help!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

All the 4l80 info you need is in this sticky. You don't even need a harness you can change some wiring and tune it.

97 and up has the improved lube design ( also cooler line location moved as part of it)
00 up has the added top bolt hole for LS engines.

I suggest 97' or newer IMO.

No regrets going to an 80E for me, wish I did it sooner.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...k-here-460144/
Old 01-07-2017, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
All the 4l80 info you need is in this sticky.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...k-here-460144/
sorry i missed that
Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped to an 80e and have no regrets. Went with a TCI flex plate and PTC converter. Did the Speartech harness. Yoke I got from the company I bought the Trans from. It's a 1350 style in chromemoly. I went aftermarket with the driveshaft and have a 2 piece since I have a long bed extended cab. Stock one actually still fits because I added a cheap 1350 yoke to it and it has a slip shaft on one section but new one is front steel, rear section in aluminum. Truck put down 630rwhp on e85 so glad I swapped. Everything has worked fine and held up in a 5600lb truck.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LongBlue
I swapped to an 80e and have no regrets. Went with a TCI flex plate and PTC converter. Did the Speartech harness. Yoke I got from the company I bought the Trans from. It's a 1350 style in chromemoly. I went aftermarket with the driveshaft and have a 2 piece since I have a long bed extended cab. Stock one actually still fits because I added a cheap 1350 yoke to it and it has a slip shaft on one section but new one is front steel, rear section in aluminum. Truck put down 630rwhp on e85 so glad I swapped. Everything has worked fine and held up in a 5600lb truck.
thanks alot! I was hoping for some more input. If I have a fault it's reading to much but I love this ****. I am unsure about which fle plate but do have a local company that can make me an aluminum driveshaft. Those are some good HP numbers. Thanks again
Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I went with a TCI flexplate as well when I did my swap. Already had a Denny's aluminum shaft and just had to swap out the slip yoke. Just got done swapping the 3.73 gearing for 4.10 as well. Very happy I went ahead and did the swap - I bought a '00 80e off CL and had my builder install a Jake's Stage III kit and a Circle D Triple disc...time to jack the Stroker now!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darkirish63
I went with a TCI flexplate as well when I did my swap. Already had a Denny's aluminum shaft and just had to swap out the slip yoke. Just got done swapping the 3.73 gearing for 4.10 as well. Very happy I went ahead and did the swap - I bought a '00 80e off CL and had my builder install a Jake's Stage III kit and a Circle D Triple disc...time to jack the Stroker now!!!
Thanks I appreciate the help. I also am thinking of going with a 4.10 rear gear. Is yours a turbo or NA?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

NA for now - I get plenty of torque with the stroker motor. Having an LSXRT installed soon and a refresh of the long block as well.