Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Looking for the most drop and not bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the most drop and not bags

I have a few questions about lowering the rear of my 2005 Silverado crew cab. I am trying to get the most drop.

If I use lowering leafs and do a flip kit will I keep the drop inches of the leaf spring or would I be better off just doing a flip kit and shackles?

Can I put front hangers instead of the rear hangers?
Old 03-11-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

No lowering leafs.

Just do a flip kit with a c-notch and shackles to get you the 7-8in rear drop. Don't expect the best ride with going that low either.

Pretty sure any flip kit on the NBS trucks needs the C-notch.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

A notch IS not needed unless you plan to run a stock or drop shackle. A lot of people do a flip kit and a lift shackle to avoid doing a notch.

However,

A notch isn't really all that hard. With the right tools, it can be done in about 4-5 hours.

I did mine in my driveway. The only thing that sucks is drilling the holes for the notch. I bought very good bits and it was easy AND I used a 1/2in corded drill.

Just be sure to support the frame in front of and behind the notch.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

the question is as low as possible without bags...

drop springs, drop shackle, flip kit with drop hangers will have the rear sitting LOW. not sure how to get the front that low....maybe cut drop springs, and spindles.

it will ride like complete ****.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Teching In

ok thanks for everyone input
Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I've seen guys with stupid drops and it ride decent considering the drop.
Like said, no drop leafs.
The list TX posted is pretty accurate.
You may have to go with drop control arms with the front drop to get that achieved. Along with the spindles and coils.
My flip included a lift hanger, the stock hanger gave another 1 or 2 inch drop. That was for a 2dr Tahoe though.
Make sure you make all your cuts for clearance and get the driveshaft shimmed for the correct angle. Or, it'll definitely drive like sh*t. I think that's one of the things people forget when doing a drop. I had a few places to notch and clearance.
While you're doing all this might as well notch it. You'll regret it if you don't.
You may want to consider helper bags, just saying.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Definitely get a notch if you use a flip kit, whether stock or lift shackle. I bottomed out plenty with a 2/4 drop no notch. These aren't like NNBS trucks that can get away with it.

my old truck was 2" spindles, 2" springs (trimmed some coil to make it 3.5" drop), flip kit, lowering shackle, notch, helper bags, carrier bearing kit and shock extenders. Make sure you get good shocks and it will ride "fine". It's still a slammed truck, but I think it rode better than most stock trucks because I personally am a sports car guy and I hate the floating that most trucks have. I want responsive suspension that handles the road

Name:  FB_IMG_1468537747574_zps3jbqqumi.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  38.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
baddbradd (06-10-2022)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Teching In

thanks.... I don't really do a lot of towing or have heavy stuff in the bed but I will look into helper bags. what would be the correct drive shaft angle on a crew cab. or will it be better to due a two piece shaft conversion?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Pinion angle/ driveshaft angle can be different on every truck, you will have to measure for it and correct it as needed.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 05black5.3
thanks.... I don't really do a lot of towing or have heavy stuff in the bed but I will look into helper bags. what would be the correct drive shaft angle on a crew cab. or will it be better to due a two piece shaft conversion?
I didn't know you had a crew cab. If that's the case, you definitely have to do something with your driveshaft. The other option is to raise the tank crossmembers because on a crew cab with the large OD driveshaft, it will rub the crossmembers under the bed until it explodes on the highway. Its probably cheaper to do the two piece than cut and weld the crossmembers, plus if you ever plan to go above 100mph do the two piece shaft now.