Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ifs to solid axle conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ifs to solid axle conversion

I own a 2000 chevy silverado 4X4. I am looking for info on doing a front axle conversion. any and all hely would be apreciated.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would like to know too.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a big article on full size chevy.com or you can check out offroad unlimited. You can get all the parts, springs, shackles, steering and all the brackets through offroad unlimited if you cant make them yourself.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Checkout this site, www.offroadunlimited.com you can get all the parts from them. Are you going to be doing the swap yourself?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK6.0HD
Checkout this site, www.offroadunlimited.com you can get all the parts from them. Are you going to be doing the swap yourself?

Yeah thats the plan.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

You have a couple options
Offroad Unlimited as already said
Fabritech www.setstr8.com
You can make your own brackets for leaf spings
You can get radius arms and use all F150 stuff and lift coils (now a fan of this because I dont like radius arms or Ford parts)
or you can do what I want to do If i ever lift my '99 4-Link it takes alot more planning Skill (to make it right) its not cheap, But in my opinion a well built 4-Link is awsome.
No matter what you decide you got to decide what kind of front axle you want to run. you can stay 1/2ton and use a Chevrolet 10 Bolt or D44 but then you have the pinion on the wrong side, and you have the same problem if you put a Chevrolet D60 in it. Your other Option is to go ford and put a D44 or D60 it. If you put a Ford D44 and you want to stay 6 Lug you will need Chevrolet Hubs and rotors(they will bolt right on).
If you wanted to keep it all Chevrolet you CAN put a old style t-case in it(anything from a 87 or older 241 and 208 will bolt right on to a 4L60E) but then you have to put a shifter in the floor and you wont have a speedometer unless you get custom gauges. Im sure theres plenty for to tell you if u have any specic questions ill try to help...
Old 04-28-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get radius arms and use all F150 stuff and lift coils (now a fan of this because I dont like radius arms or Ford parts)
or you can do what I want to do If i ever lift my '99 4-Link it takes alot more planning Skill (to make it right) its not cheap, But in my opinion a well built 4-Link is awsome.
No matter what you decide you got to decide what kind of front axle you want to run. you can stay 1/2ton and use a Chevrolet 10 Bolt or D44 but then you have the pinion on the wrong side, and you have the same problem if you put a Chevrolet D60 in it. Your other Option is to go ford and put a D44 or D60 it. If you put a Ford D44 and you want to stay 6 Lug you will need Chevrolet Hubs and rotors(they will bolt right on).
If you wanted to keep it all Chevrolet you CAN put a old style t-case in it(anything from a 87 or older 241 and 208 will bolt right on to a 4L60E) but then you have to put a shifter in the floor and you wont have a speedometer unless you get custom gauges. Im sure theres plenty for to tell you if u have any specic questions ill try to help..
The axles are made by Dana Corporation so you wouldnt really be using Ford parts. If I'm not mistaken, the ORU kit is pretty straightforward. You could call Currie or Dynatrac and they'll custom build you an axle for the front end, but that's too expensive IMO. Since you're going to a solid axle, I'm assuming that you are going pretty high; in that case you are going to need a 14 bolt or D60 rear axle as well, so then you'll have 8 lugs.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BLK6.0HD
they don't do 1500's i've called and ask many times they said they don't make a kit and will not make a kit because of the box frame.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Fabritech www.setstr8.com
i can't find any prices.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also got ahold of offroad unlimites. They said that they don't make a kit fot the 2000 oe newer 1500. They sugested I take a look at the 2500 kit and adapt. Also look at the fAq's.

Quick Reply: ifs to solid axle conversion