Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

99-07 4WD Front Coilover Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

What type of top mount do you have? I wondered if a 303 would be that low with a stud top mount and 7" spring?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
What type of top mount do you have? I wondered if a 303 would be that low with a stud top mount and 7" spring?
Currently using Atomic's top mount but will be switching to stud mount to either increase the travel of the DS303 or move to DS401 with 10" 800lb springs.

Actually, now that I think about it, you probably could get very close to your photo by using a DS303 with stud mount. Stud mount lowers 0.75" at the shock and 1.5" at the wheel.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:15 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

This is why I really like to get a baseline measurement of where everyone sits now before saying what spring and shock to use. I dont put together basic "3inch drop" kits because that could be a little different for everyone and like you pointed out you have to be pretty accurate. I ask everyone to measure before I recommend anything, even if I have a pretty good idea of what they need.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah but it's a chicken before the egg scenario because I have to dismantle my current suspension (lift spindles) and then install the drop components. I really didn't want to install my lowering keys and torsion bars, but I think I'll have to in order to get a measurement. I wish this wasn't my DD and I could just tear it apart to measure.

Easiest was would be if I could find someone that is torsion bar suspension lowered with spindles and keys only, just like I want my truck. Then I could just ask them to measure the shock and I'm good to go with picking my shocks. I need to just make a thread asking all torsion bar lowered guys to post pictures. Most of them seem to do DJM lower arms though which won't help me
Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 PM
I have a gauge for that

So believe this is a viking c201 with stock spindle and the stud top. The second pic is with the same shock but the procomp adapter.
Attached Thumbnails 99-07 4WD Front Coilover Conversion-screenshot_20170125-211734.jpg   99-07 4WD Front Coilover Conversion-screenshot_20170125-211530.jpg  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

That helps, that shock is almost the same as the ds301 according to the specs.

I think I have a plan now, but I'm still going to have to lower the truck to the ride height I want before I can measure. Having three options for top mounting and 2 options for shocks I think I can find the perfect setup. Once I have my shock height I can choose the combo that's best. Whether that is stud top, procomp adapter or your new upper bracket, I think I can find the perfect height that keeps the shock at the 60/40 sweet spot you mentioned.

I think I would prefer the 303 for the larger spring selection between 7-9"
Old 01-26-2017, 08:25 AM
I have a gauge for that

I would recommend using the stud top method as it will give you the most room to work with. I don't recommend the lifted style mount unless you have to because it's a little more difficult to install.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, I'll just get the normal mount you have then. I really like the look of that new top mount, makes it look like it was meant to be there without all the add-on pieces. Sounds like I can just order your full kit with stud bushing to have on hand in case the procomp doesn't work out for my height
Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 AM
I have a gauge for that

Sounds good to me. If you want to use the lifted brackets thats ok and they will work fine, they are just more of a pain to install. They are the same height as using the stud top. I attached the spreadsheet I made to do all the math and stuff with different options if you want to play with it some. Keep in mind the travel at the wheel is about double travel at the shock, so don't be freaked out by the seemingly tiny travel amounts.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Shock-Spring_v7.3.xls (115.5 KB, 145 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

If they're the same height as the stud top then there's no reason for me to go that way. I thought there were three total options for playing with height.

I did figure out a way to get the measurements I need without too terribly much work. I'm going to rent a torsion tool and pop out the keeper to get total slack of the bars. Then, because the measurement I need is based on hub to fender measurements, I can easily jack up the lower control arm until I get that measurement perfect. I have 3" lift spindles and I will measure from bottom balljoint mount to center of hub and compare that to my belltech spindles. That will be the only math involved and I can then figure out where my lifted spindle hub needs to be to get my future lowered ride height. From there I can measure my shock mounts and pick a coilover. It will take a little work to complete, but it's the most thorough way to get what I need.

Quick Reply: 99-07 4WD Front Coilover Conversion