FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Intake help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake help

I do believe that I have myself totally confused. I have a LM7 5.3L from a Tahoe in my truck.

and I have possible clearance issues. I bought a LS1 intake for that reason.

after getting the LS1 and setting it on the engine, I'm not liking my clearance for the CAI (or intake tube from the air cleaner, whatever you want to call it)

I have been searching LS intakes and have learned tons, some would work some won't due to port shape. Now remember this is not going to be a red light to red light racer, its for offroad, and I am curious to learn about the LS2 from the Trailblazer SS manifold. Answers I have not found yet are; How tall is it? Will my t-body bolt up to it? (i'm guessing since mine is TBC and not TBW its "no") Would this be the best choice for my application?

Yes, I know most people want to upgrade their engine for top end and speed, I looking bottom end. I'm told the stock manifold would be the best choice for that but if the TBSS is lower and can give close to or the same numbers for torque that's less I have to modify. (hood and crossover support tube for the coilover towers).

Any insight, opinions, thoughts are all welcome.

Last edited by dvdswan; 08-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you want to keep the truck manifold as I believe it offers better low-end torque than the LS1 intake. You can use the TBSS intake manifold but you will need to get a 4-bolt cable TB, new fuel rails, etc. But it might give you the same clearance issues.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I think you want to keep the truck manifold as I believe it offers better low-end torque than the LS1 intake. You can use the TBSS intake manifold but you will need to get a 4-bolt cable TB, new fuel rails, etc. But it might give you the same clearance issues.
I'm hoping the TBSS has a lower height than the truck one does. less to modify or possibly nothing to modify. I'm hoping to find the height of it off the plenum plate (piece that holds the knock sensors). I know the truck has better torque numbers throughout the entire power range than the other intakes, hence I was curiuos what the numbers were for the TBSS intake manifold. If they are reasonably close and its lower it would be perfect.

I'm not worried about new rails, etc I was prepared to do that with the LS1.

I was not aware of a 4 bolt cable TB, I was under the understanding that all 4 bolts were TBW. I was prepared to buy a adapter plate for the 4 to 3 bolt.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use an adapter plate, but if you get the TBSS intake it has a 87-90mm opening, so the stock TB would choke it. Lots of companies make 4-bolt cable TBs; Nick Williams, FAST, Holley, to name a few. I think there are some cheapo ones on eBay but I wouldn't cheap out on the TB; a poorly made TB can make tuning a hassle, not to mention if it gets stuck at WOT...
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ls6 intake is the same size height or vary close to it. this would give you more top end hp and more tq overall compared to the ls1 intake. The ls1 intake is probably the worst for over all power out of the gm line.

The truck intake manifold is going to be your best option for lowend tq for off roading, but I see your issue. Except for the FAST LSX intake, but this will give you 20hp & 20tq over the stock truck intake above 4000rpms and cost around $1500 so not worth it in my opinion.

Does the motor have a small duration cam shaft like the one in my sig? These do wanders for lowend and midrange power.

FAST LSX> stock truck intake> ls6>ls2>ls1 for tq
Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Not much difference in the truck and TBSS intakes.
Name:  IMG-20120415-00120.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  60.2 KB
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies,
that's what I needed to know. the picture is perfect. I was hoping the TBSS was lower and still kept the torque numbers for a truck. wishful thinking I guess. I found out the order of performance/flowabiltiy (is that a word?) after I picked up the LS1 intake. yeah I know live and learn, I knew it was lower and after all the searching the order. oh well, I didn't drop much on it so I'm not worried.

I did get a small torque cam, listed as this....
Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 261/265, Lift .554/.558, Chevy, Small Block, LS1/LS6
1k-5.7k range

so is there a huge difference between the LS6 and truck manifolds? and if I need to buy a new tbody then so be it. I wouldn't go cheap on it. I've seen what cheapos can do. luckily not my vehicle. lots of frustration.

so the LS6 I would still need to get fuel rails, injectors, etc. I guess depending on the cost of the LS6 compared to a FAST intake would be something to look at. I really don't want to drop 1500 on an intake, so looking for a decent used one will be what I'm after.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The FAST Intake it self is around $900. The fuel rails new 90-102mm throttle body little gaskets here and there add up to $1500ish.

Good choice on the cam shaft for your application!

I think your best option would be go with a used ls6 intake. "Watch out for ls1 intake liars" That way it will be the exact same set up with throttle body/fuel system as the ls1.

or just save the money and live with the ls1 not like the ls6 will make much difference under 3000rpms
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camin00
Good choice on the cam shaft for your application!

I think your best option would be go with a used ls6 intake. "Watch out for ls1 intake liars" That way it will be the exact same set up with throttle body/fuel system as the ls1.

or just save the money and live with the ls1 not like the ls6 will make much difference under 3000rpms

I'm hoping the cam is perfect for my build. thanks.

how can you tell the difference between the LS1 and LS6? I only ask because they generally list them together.

on a side note: will a LS1 coil cover work with LS6 intake, what about a LS2 coil cover with the LS6 intake? I was thinking of installing those if there is room. I really like the white covers since the truck will be mostly white.

my luck they probably won't lol.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

nevermind, I found out how...

Question: How to tell if it is an LS6 intake

ls6
Name:  100_0209.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  143.5 KB

ls1
Name:  DSC_1712-1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  32.6 KB

ls1 left / ls6 right

so... anyone selling a LS6 intake with fuel rails, injectors, steam lines, etc.
thanks for all the info guys.

Quick Reply: Intake help